• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Column shifter parts - any ideas

DodgeDos

Local time
5:02 AM
Reaction score
I have a 66 coronet I have been slowly fixing issues with. The automatic shifter on the column is supposed to be held in by a spring and pin it looks like in the picture. On my car a previous owners attached it with a bolt, nut and a few washers. Seems petty but every time I drive it I keep zoning in on it. Anyone know what size or where I could find this? I am hoping they didn’t just drill through and put the bolt there.

124FF900-9B48-4AA9-B283-4D43A9DE8EA1.jpeg

If it’s what I think you’re talking about, you’re somewhat correct. I just completely rebuilt the column on my 66 Belvedere. On the shifter handle, the part that slides into the ‘hump’ on the collar, you’ll see a small indent where the spring goes. You have to collapse the spring slightly as you slide the handle into that hump. Then the retaining pin goes into the hump and through the aligning hole in the handle and out the other side of the hump.
Not sure if I’m describing the parts properly but I can provide a few photos.
On the hump on my collar the holes where slightly elongated causing the handle to move slightly while shifting gears. I took a small amount of JB Weld and put it in the holes. After it cured I redrilled the hole and tapped in the retainer pin. Painted the column and it looks and work like new. Unfortunately I don’t know if the spring or pin are available. Maybe someone here has converted to a floor shift and has the parts. Let me know if you have any other questions.

That’s exactly what I am talking about. Just need the spring and pin or the size and I can go find something like it.

Most likely the holes are worn hence the bolt. You could get a pin but you most likely will either replace the collar and shift handle or source an oversize pin. My 69 manual shows it as 3/16 x 7/8 part number 152233 I think it is the same as 1966.

Most likely the holes are worn hence the bolt. You could get a pin but you most likely will either replace the collar and shift handle or source an oversize pin. My 69 manual shows it as 3/16 x 7/8 part number 152233 I think it is the same as 1966.

Thank you, I will pull it apart tomorrow and see if that size fits. I should be able to find something.

I have a 66 coronet I have been slowly fixing issues with. The automatic shifter on the column is supposed to be held in by a spring and pin it looks like in the picture. On my car a previous owners attached it with a bolt, nut and a few washers. Seems petty but every time I drive it I keep zoning in on it. Anyone know what size or where I could find this? I am hoping they didn’t just drill through and put the bolt there.

View attachment 1106642
Here's a link on FBBO of someone selling a 67 Dodge column. Worth a shot.
https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/67-coronet-steering-column.217389/

Auto Transport Service
Back