• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Come-A-Long

JacobEXE

Local time
1:16 PM
Reaction score
does anyone know where i can get a come a long? i feel like all there is in winches and thats not what im looking for.

thanks

does anyone know where i can get a come a long? i feel like all there is in winches and thats not what im looking for.

thanks

any truck supply center or farm supply store will have come-a-longs

the difference between a winch and a cum-along is how much you pay her! lmao

MSC or Grainger- listed as Jet Powr-pulls...

Jacob ... what is it you are wanting to accomplish?

A "come-a-long" are inexpensive (cheap) and dangerous cable pullers that love to hurt the person operating them.

A "winch" commonly found mounted on the front of 4-wheel drive lifted trucks are used for decoration here in Arizona since most of them have never seen the any off-road use.

Another form of a come-along is a cable grip style ... I have used them many times to pull large rocks out of holes I created with my gold dredge.

There are come alongs that use chain...I like those much better than the ones using a steel cable in them. The cable ones are dangerous like dryheat mentioned.

If you understand how they work, and operate them properly, a "come along" is fine.

I've had a pre-harbor freight $20 off brand that has served me well for decades.

I also got one of the $45 HF 12v semi-weatherized winches, that has also served well for a few years now.

harbor freight, northern tool, tractor supply, etc.

These aren't cheap, but you'll never buy annother one. Mine is over 20 years old and has pulled countless cars and boilers.

http://www.lug-all.com/

Jacob ... what is it you are wanting to accomplish?

A "come-a-long" are inexpensive (cheap) and dangerous cable pullers that love to hurt the person operating them.

A "winch" commonly found mounted on the front of 4-wheel drive lifted trucks are used for decoration here in Arizona since most of them have never seen the any off-road use.

Another form of a come-along is a cable grip style ... I have used them many times to pull large rocks out of holes I created with my gold dredge.
well ive been playing in the mud lately in my terrible 4banger ford ranger with bald street tires and i always get stuck no matter what, so im either just gonna sell the truck or find a way to make it fun.

well ive been playing in the mud lately in my terrible 4banger ford ranger with bald street tires and i always get stuck no matter what, so im either just gonna sell the truck or find a way to make it fun.

New off-road tires, perhaps?

Get a Hi Lift jack and some tow rope/strap. A come along cable will snap and kill you, not to mention the mechanism mit just brake when you need it most. I used my Hi Lift to unstuck my old CJ plenty of times - no winch needed.

http://www.amazon.com/Hi-Lift-Jack-HL484-Black-Steel/dp/B00042KG3A

- - - Updated - - -

Out in AZ, prob the best thing you could do is get the widest tires you can fit, it's all about floatation. Maybe a cheap body lift to get some taller ones in there.

The 2 posts above offer great advise. I too have used the Hi Lift jack with a great deal of success.

Depending upon your location in AZ a front winch may or may not be usable ... for example in the lower desert it's tough to get it anchored up to a cactus or sage brush. Up north there are plenty of trees to hook to.

You mentioned in a different post that you are not happy with your current truck ... so maybe trading it in for something with 4WD and better tires will help.

The 2 posts above offer great advise. I too have used the Hi Lift jack with a great deal of success.

Depending upon your location in AZ a front winch may or may not be usable ... for example in the lower desert it's tough to get it anchored up to a cactus or sage brush. Up north there are plenty of trees to hook to.

You mentioned in a different post that you are not happy with your current truck ... so maybe trading it in for something with 4WD and better tires will help.
i live in the heart of arizona (prescott) but there is really no tree's all there really is are bushes. i might sell it and invest into a bigger 4x4.

any old 4x4 is fun in the mud is alot of fun but you might need other than new tires ,look on the net about off roading ,check some clubs out ,read about off road recovery for your self and your truck it will help you alot ,short of joining the military so they can teach you how this can be done either with a wheeled vehicle or a track vehicle , read up and go have fun man :hello2:

I bought a H.F. come-along to pull my brothers 87 Mustang onto a car trailer [5000lb I think]. ******* thing exploded just doing that! The sides of the cable drum broke off! They then pressed themselves against the sides if the frame. Nice thing on a 98 degree day on the way to Kentucky. After the trip from hell, i took it to my friend in the tool room at Chrysler. He tig-welded the sides of the drum back on. Then we added tabs, or "extenders" to the latch and release parts of the winch to make it user friendly. Friends borrow it regularly and think it is the best winch ever!

Auto Transport Service
Back