• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

comp cam story true or false

moparjohnny

Local time
9:20 PM
Reaction score
this story i found last night about comp years ago making soft cams,material they used was soft and supposedly cause numerious engs to fail? has anyone heard that story? i hope they have corrected that problem,if it was true.thanks

probably was the notorious tappet problem that everybody had, especially with hydraulic flat tappets, about 7 to 10 years ago. i'm not a comp cams lover but all cam grinders and vendor suffered when the flat tappet manufacturers either went out of business or quit making them.

It's not just comp cams.
There are only a few core suppliers.

The sad truth is that the quality of just about everything has gone to ****. Chinese garbage has forced US manufacturing to cheapen its product to compete. Basically a race to the bottom.

That said, comp cams is at the bottom of the list of stuff I would consider buying.

hmmm.gif
Why?

I've never had good service with Comp either not to mention the few times I've ordered from them I got the wrong stuff. The last time I dealt with them a few years back, a customer insisted on them and even told me what cam he wanted etc etc. Well....the rockers were wrong along with the pushrods and lifters and of course, like most, he was in a hurry for an up coming 4x4 event. Tried to tell him but he wouldn't listen and then he expected me to jump through the hoop to finish his junk once the right parts showed up....which did not happen. I do NOT jump through hoops for people that do not listen to me, plain and simple. Maybe next time he comes around (if I let him) he'll listen. He did get his engine back but barely in time for him to install it and make his event but he was the one that had to hustle. Rushing on a build only opens the door for mistakes and I quit pulling all night thrashes years ago.

reliability issues. the dealers defend comp cams because they make money off them, the magazines flaunt them because of advertising money and free parts. a favorable write up will sell more product than advertising. reliability problems has soured me on them. i think some of their profiles are just too aggressive for production blocks and if the components are not top tier than one can have a costly mess. wiping a cam is lot crapping the bed; heck of a mess to clean up.

I believe the story you're referring to is one of many from back then. It was not a Comp Cams only problem as many camshaft suppliers were having problems with lobe wear. The problem arose because of a combination of two things around the same time if I remember correctly. A shortage of quality crowned lifters, and the big one was the reduction in zinc and phosphate in the oils by the government that no one was informed of.

The last customer engine I used one in a custom Comp solid flat tappet came out of the 470hp 383, and a different custom Comp flat tappet went in to the 496 that makes just under 600hp and has almost 20K miles on it. The 383 I'm working on now is getting an XE262. My truck's 360 has the LA small block version in it that's 10 years old. Another 383 with an XE268 has 25K on it since I rebuilt it around 2001. I do use others' product too and the build dictates who gets which manufacturer so I don;t consider myself a comp only guy...
I've never had a cam failure not due to something I screwed up - and that's been twice - both when I was in my teens. Comp is a very reputable cam supplier and I use them for a majority of my builds. As do many others, and many professional builders.
Lifter failures were common a decade ago because of the manufacturer's problems and some of these lifters are still out there being sold for cheap. You might recall Crane had an adjuster issue with a similar deficiency. Cam cores only come from a couple producers... So if Comp had softer cores, so would most of the other manufacturers. I am certain there is no hardness problem now. Now some companies surface harden the lobes (optional on Comp, I think Howards does it on all of them) but that's because the lobe shapes and required spring pressures demand it. Not because there are any problem. The VAST majority of cam failures is not the oils' fault, or the cam makers fault, but rather the assembler or the person starting it for the first time.
Those that have had issues with service may have a point as I don't deal with Comp direct and I'm not a distributor so I can't comment. But I've never had a mislabeled or misboxed issue with them. That's since 1986 when I bought the first one and buying them from mail order, distributors, or local speed shops.
You can either believe the hype and marketing BS pushed by certain companies trying to corner a Mopar market, or accept reality. In Comp's case the reality is Comp is a very good product when specified and installed properly.

i have never had any cam failures either, but the no Zink or low zink oils are deffenently and issue.

will the possible drama and buying stuff twice, may as well go rollers these days.

i recently bought a Lunati cam for my Ford 5.0, and it was made black label by Comp cams, i was shocked, (lunati box, with a Comp cam card) but it runs like a rock star, so I dont care. my 440 also has a Lunati roller, but it was manufactured by Lunati.

image.jpeg
This 275HL Comp Cam was part of the build built back in 2005. Lots of hard miles. Has a killer lope and tons of low end power to 4850. No problems. After break-in, I have used Amsoil Synthetic Signature with high zinc 10-40 exclusively.

That said, comp cams is at the bottom of the list of stuff I would consider buying.
Most of it is Chinese junk.
Ouch! Wish I new that before I bought and installed one.

Bought mine through Jegs. No problem with the order..........or the cam...........so far.

a different custom Comp flat tappet went in to the 496 that makes just under 600hp and has almost 20K miles on it.

Comp is a very reputable cam supplier and I use them for a majority of my builds. As do many others, and many professional builders.

I am certain there is no hardness problem now.

In Comp's case the reality is Comp is a very good product when specified and installed properly.
Now this makes me feel better.

just to add some salt in the wounds of American manufacturing, even the US manufactures BUY there metal from China in many cases, to keep their bottom line competitive. so you buy from say 440 source or who every you think is "good ole Murcian" manufacture it may be the same stuff.

just because the Box says "made in the USA" dosent always mean the materials to manufacture it came from the US as well.

so to the gents that get all bent out of shape over "Chinese Junk" may have that "Junk" metal in their US made parts and not even know it.

if your paying 2500$ for a US made crank for your 600 HP or less car show engine all you have done is lighted your wallet needlessly.

buy the best American made stuff you can afford, or fake it until you make it like I do.

In Comp's case the reality is Comp is a very good product when specified and installed properly.
X2. I've used nearly every manufacturer out there and also lots of Comp Cams since the 80's. I've been all through their plant, the dyno cells, the spintron, the cam grinding and inspecting equipment, the nitride process....seen it all. It's a great company that employs a bunch of great people.

just to add some salt in the wounds of American manufacturing, even the US manufactures BUY there metal from China in many cases, to keep their bottom line competitive. so you buy from say 440 source or who every you think is "good ole Murcian" manufacture it may be the same stuff.

just because the Box says "made in the USA" dosent always mean the materials to manufacture it came from the US as well.

so to the gents that get all bent out of shape over "Chinese Junk" may have that "Junk" metal in their US made parts and not even know it.

if your paying 2500$ for a US made crank for your 600 HP or less car show engine all you have done is lighted your wallet needlessly.

buy the best American made stuff you can afford, or fake it until you make it like I do.

I agree that low price/low quality Chinese performance parts are driving the quality of US made parts down. That was the point of my "race to the bottom" comment.

I'm aware that most sportsman level performance parts are not 100% us made.
That said, there is a big difference between a company that uses a Chinese forging and finishes it locally with better quality control as apposed to a part that is 100% "Chinese junk". (Professional products / 440 source)

Manley buys Chinese forgings and Finishes their cranks here. So does Callies with their compstar line of parts.

It's sad that things have come to this, but this is the world we live in today.

Never had a cam failure and have used Comp Cams on a few of my last builds with good results. However my last build had lifter issues, I contacted them and they agreed to take my cam back in exchange for a solid lift setup and have been running it every since. I found they're customer service to be great with them resolving my issues with zero cost or hassle.

Never heard that story personally.

I've used Comp Cams and rockers for years with zero problems. Take a walk through any major NHRA event and check out all the cam sponsorship decals. Comp has far and away more than any other manufacturer. And, yes, they pay if you run their product and win your class, as does every other cam manufacturer. Yes, they do check to make sure you purchased the cam from them and I've even had a rep check the cam at tear-down.
I agree that there are a lot of "wives tales" when it comes to certain automotive products. And, believe it or not, some cam failures, irregardless of brand, are actually the result of the builder/installer!

Auto Transport Service
Back