• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comp FT Hyd Lifters

wagonman

Local time
5:59 PM
Reaction score
I have been getting a noise from the Rt side that has been progresivly worse. A little info, Comp XE268H-10 and matching Lifters. Maybe 2000 miles on this 440. Cam was broken in with good oil with zinc and a bottle of the Comp additive. Has Isky ductile rockers and Smith Bros push rods. Man this thing is real noisy cold and gets better when warmed up. So I pulled the cover and all looks good. # 8 exhaust rocker can be pushed down about 1/4 inch # 2 int & ex can be moved about 0.020. Havent pulled the lifters out yet cause I dont want to down the car yet ( going to paint soon ). Anyone else having issues with Comp lifters? Any better alternative?

sounds like the tappets aren't pumping up. take them out, take them apart and clean them.

Thanks Lew, Yeah called Comp they said no probs with their lifters. I pulled the #8 lifter took it apart and cleaned it. Did not see anything inside,bottom face looks good. Slammed it back together and seems quieter but still has a tap to it. Guess time will tell, might go with some 10-30 instead of the 15-40 on the next oil change. If it keeps up I might get some Cranes,Crowers or Iskys. Just hate to go through the cam breakin crap shoot.

Comp said no probems with their lifters (BS). I had a Comp XE268H cam, Comp matching springs, Comp matching lifters and adjustable rockers in a rebuilt 340 motor. Every time after sitting it would make noise when it was started, after driving for a while it would go away. Now this was about 5 years ago, I called Comp about the problem, the Comp tech said they were having some problems with the lifters (some were noisy and some worked fine. I though by now they would have fixed the problem with the lifters. I've heard other car owners that complained about the same problem. I am sure there are other members that had or have noise problems with Comp lifters.

Last time I purchased a Comp 'kit' they had solid lifters in the hydraulic box. Of course I didn't catch it until it was all put together and I was trying to set preload, no compression. Called Comp and they said 'that should never happen'.

Thanks Lew, Yeah called Comp they said no probs with their lifters. I pulled the #8 lifter took it apart and cleaned it. Did not see anything inside,bottom face looks good. Slammed it back together and seems quieter but still has a tap to it. Guess time will tell, might go with some 10-30 instead of the 15-40 on the next oil change. If it keeps up I might get some Cranes,Crowers or Iskys. Just hate to go through the cam breakin crap shoot.
pretty sure comps are Johnson's, good tappets. you may not have enough preload on them.

Yank them and put solid lifters with EDM holes in them.
Lots of guys have had problems with comp cams hydraulic lifters over the last several years.

Do you remember if it had a "wafer" style metering or a Check Ball ?

Trend Tool steel solids with edm hole are more expensive but they don't have the inherent wear problems of the iron on iron delima. Another member on FBBO said that loosing a cam is like shittin the bed and I more than strongly agree. good luck.

Most noise is either worn lifter bores letting pressure leak out, or not enough preload. Lifters will drain down if the bores are a little loose. It happens. They should pump right up once the engine is running. if they keep being noisey, try more preload.

Most noise is either worn lifter bores letting pressure leak out, or not enough preload. Lifters will drain down if the bores are a little loose. It happens. They should pump right up once the engine is running. if they keep being noisey, try more preload.
Got them set at 3/4 turn now, maybe go a full turn and see how she likes it. Other than that I think new Quality lifters are in my future.

Comp said no probems with their lifters (BS). I had a Comp XE268H cam, Comp matching springs, Comp matching lifters and adjustable rockers in a rebuilt 340 motor. Every time after sitting it would make noise when it was started, after driving for a while it would go away. Now this was about 5 years ago, I called Comp about the problem, the Comp tech said they were having some problems with the lifters (some were noisy and some worked fine. I though by now they would have fixed the problem with the lifters. I've heard other car owners that complained about the same problem. I am sure there are other members that had or have noise problems with Comp lifters.
Yup sounds like BS to Me to.

I just ran it noisy for a few weeks, went away. I was worried about it too. Valve covers off and all that. Been a few years now, no problems.

Hey Lelo, Just the opposite with mine. Installed the engine, broke cam in then drove it all summer. Then on cold starts tap,tap. Been getting louder but quiets down when warm. I have not been shy about hammering on it. Like I said pulled the suspect lifter and really could not see an issue. I also put a MP high pressure spring in the oil pump to see if that would make a change, no difference. It just PO me off that when Ya spend good $$ ya got issues. Such is our world..

The XE268 notorious for being noisy esp. on start up. Like a typewriter. I hope the new lifters fix it for ya.

Auto Transport Service
Back