• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Complete front suspension rebuild and some rear also.

Doug Larsson

Local time
11:12 PM
Reaction score
I thought I would document what I did to the front end of my 1973 Dodge Charger. It might come in handy to others who want to do this on there own. Let me say I'm not a real mechanic I'm a machinist by trade for the past 34 years I've worked on all sorts of race cars and dirt bikes so I do know my way around some. Now I'm sure there are better ways but this is how I did it. I went with Firm Feel on the suspension bushing kit, torsion bars, Bilstien shocks,Lower controls arm parts, reinforced stamp steel lower control arm. I also purchased brand new slotted/hole disc brakes to replace the front and I'm taking the drums off and installing slotted/disc on tube rear also. I recently purchased front and rear sway bars from PST also. I will update when I have times to do it I hope this will help some of you. Please refrain from jumping on here with non related problems I'd like to keep this related to this task.

20190412_170607.jpg 20190420_211259.jpg 20190508_192450.jpg 20190421_163950.jpg 20190428_151053.jpg 20190428_152236.jpg 20190428_152641.jpg 20190501_191444 (2).jpg

I did a ton of cleaning of old grease I found some great degreaser wipes at Walmart there made by Gunk there pretty durable for being a paper product. I installed the idler arm and the tie rods but kept every thing loose till I get more parts on the car it just makes it easier to assemble. I'm picking up my lower control arms today and have alot of the weekend to install some parts .

20190501_195946.jpg 20190501_211617.jpg

About to start a suspension rebuild on my 74 RR. Very excited to see how yours goes! Good luck!

I'm finally finishing up doing a full front end rebuild on a 69 road runner that's been sitting out in the west Texas desert for over 30 years. You would think that a car that's been in a 'dry' climate wouldn't be so hard to work on but that wasn't the case at all especially when it's been sitting on the ground. So, what's a 'real' mechanic? I'm a machinist too but have been working on cars since the late 60's even though most of it wasn't for pay but being a machinist sure helped when it came to doing engine work etc. At least you know how to speeel macheeenist! It's surprising how many who are in the craft kain't speeel it lol

Looking good, Doug. Great progress on your car and keep updated. We've all been there.

I'm finally finishing up doing a full front end rebuild on a 69 road runner that's been sitting out in the west Texas desert for over 30 years. You would think that a car that's been in a 'dry' climate wouldn't be so hard to work on but that wasn't the case at all especially when it's been sitting on the ground. So, what's a 'real' mechanic? I'm a machinist too but have been working on cars since the late 60's even though most of it wasn't for pay but being a machinist sure helped when it came to doing engine work etc. At least you know how to speeel macheeenist! It's surprising how many who are in the craft kain't speeel it lol
Ha ha well when I say real mechanic like I can't do engines or transmissions plus I don't even have the room to even attempt that pretty tight quarters in thr garage when the wife has to have her car in thr garage also. Happy wife Happy life ha ha .

This all happened because I bought 15×8 magnums and the wheel weights were hitting the upper control arms. I told Discount Tire to move them to inside the wheel thinking they just used to wide of a wheel weight. But when I lowered the front end to get the stance right it was hitting them big time. So it was just going to be upper ball joints and snow balled into a complete do over . Im glad I did I found alot of worn out parts.

20190329_153731.jpg 20190420_211238.jpg

Ha ha well when I say real mechanic like I can't do engines or transmissions plus I don't even have the room to even attempt that pretty tight quarters in thr garage when the wife has to have her car in thr garage also. Happy wife Happy life ha ha .
I guess mine wasn't staying happy.....finally left after 32 years of 'bliss' and we've known each other for 49. Man, glad I only wasted 32 with her :D

I picked up my lower control arms tonight now I can start getting it back together.

20190509_192640.jpg

I picked up my lower control arms tonight now I can start getting it back together.

View attachment 763685
I went totally opposite with mine! Trimmed them down for weight loss and then added some reinforcement but not much lol. Thing is, my plan wasn't to go out and burn up any curves etc.

I pressed the bushings into the lower control arms and painted every thing today a little closer to installing every thing back in the car. Waiting on front and rear sway bars they should be here Thursday and still waiting on rear disc brakes.

20190510_104041.jpg 20190510_125722.jpg 20190510_154616.jpg

Finally after scraping, degreasing, wire wheel,welding,cleaning,painting installing new shafts and bushings with bumper stops the lower control arms are complete minus lower ball joints they will go in later.

20190511_202501.jpg 20190511_202529.jpg 20190511_193457.jpg 20190511_195912.jpg

I have a question about the idler arm when I torque to the specific torque requirements (55-65) . Should it still move a little or not move at all ?

20190501_202130.jpg

Moving up and down? Nope....
No it has a shim on top to keep it from doing that it's brand new I mean when it's swiveling the closer I get it to tight it barely moves .

New parts with bushings do not move real easily once tight. Now if you get it all together and you can't turn the steering wheel, something is wrong. Just got done installing a complete new front end on a 69 road runner and can feel a difference in the wheel with the front tires still off the ground.

And I'm finally starting to put the car back together. Starting with the tie rod ends, strut rods and a huge sway bar. The comparison is amazing this car won't roll when I get done with it.

20190518_205728.jpg 20190518_213003.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back