• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FOUND Complete Power Steering Pump 78' 440 engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auggie56

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:33 AM
Reaction score
I have a 440 0ut of a motorhome and I need a PS pump with pully and brackets. This engine is externally ballanced which makes the damper thicker which makes the assembly different from older car engines except for 77'/78' cars with a 440. If you have any suggestions to solve this let me know, please.

Thanks

Externally balanced 440 with the thick damper started in mid-73. The thick damper is recessed where the pulley sits so the same pulley as the thin damper is used.

Im west of Lorain, and more than likely have whatever you need, possible still bolted on an engine, if that helps any.

Im west of Lorain, and more than likely have whatever you need, possible still bolted on an engine, if that helps any.

I have mocked up the assembly with a pump that I thought would work (Federal) but the pump sits too far back. To measure from the water pump housing where the pump pivots a rough measure from the engine side of the pivot to the center of the pulley is approximately five and three eights. So measuring on your pump the back bracket on the pump side to the center of your pulley should be five and three eights inches approximately. This pivot on the water pump housing measures two point seventy- five inches. This would be the distance between the front and rear bracket where the pump pivots. The upper steering pump mount on the water pump housing is approximately 2 3/8".

Last edited:
I have mocked up the assembly with a pump that I thought would work

OK, Ill have a look and see if i see what you are describing on one of the motors......

Here is one of mine for reference. This is a 75 cast crank 440 with the standard 70-up BB Saginaw pump.

motor (2).JPG 1100 (8).JPG

Here is one of mine for reference. This is a 75 cast crank 440 with the standard 70-up BB Saginaw pump.

View attachment 1028722 View attachment 1028723

View attachment 1028722 View attachment 1028723

Thanks for the pictures. Your damper how thick is it? Does it look like the one used on the 383/400? Mine is approximately 2.75" thick.

So, I looked at some of the stuff I have, and they all seem to put the power steering way out on the last groove of a 4-groove bottom pulley. I do have one for a '78 400 cast crank, with a Saginaw pump, and another '74ish 440 with that super fat damper and a Federal pump. That's factory on both, and they sure dont look to be tucked in nice, like the photos of the sweet setup in Moparmarks post. Ill try and get a pic so you can see what i see. I'm not sure what you mean about 77-78 specifically tho, lots of car engines were cast crank from '73 on, FWIR.

Auggie, do you use eBay? I have dealt with a guy that has a bunch of parts, betting he has this. Let me know and I will pass you his name.

Auggie, do you use eBay? I have dealt with a guy that has a bunch of parts, betting he has this. Let me know and I will pass you his name.
Would you please I'm not seeing any used pump parts this past two weeks?

Try seller mich-pau, great guy. If he doesn’t have it listed, ask him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back