• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comprehensive insurance

65 3 times

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:21 PM
Reaction score
What are people doing for comprehensive race car coverage? Storm or home fire damage. Damage while being transported in your trailer. Theft. Thanks for your thoughts. Dave

Hagerty offers it, and I would think a couple other classic car insurers may as well.
I've had Hagerty covering my old cars for many years now and am very happy with them.

My current insurance, which was a lot less than Hagerty, specifically excludes racing.
I will either have to take a big risk when the 572 goes in or find coverage that includes the drag strip.

Most classic carriers are going to exclude racing activities. If Haggerty covers it and you need/want it I suggest paying the piper and going with Haggerty. There are many great classic carriers out there that are quite a bit less than Haggerty - Grundy, Condon & Skelly on and on. But Haggerty Is truly the best - and you pay for that. Most of the policies are similar and have the same functions - it’s the add-ons that make the difference. Insurance professional here. Good luck.

I'm using Hagerty. It covers the car everywhere except on the track. So it's covered in the lanes, and the return road. Plus covers it in the trailer along with all the contents. And in the garage weather it's together or apart.

This is who I bought it through, He's a racer.

Don Kennedy Race Car Insurance

[email protected]

Don Kennedy 602-284-6240 (Text or Phone)

Sharon Kennedy 602-549-5054 (Text or Phone)

Not wanting racing coverage. Just Comprehensive. Nationwide has me covered for it now but their replacement dollars are WAY too low. Dave

Not wanting racing coverage. Just Comprehensive. Nationwide has me covered for it now but their replacement dollars are WAY too low. Dave
Your choice - but i would never use a mainline carrier of any kind to cover my classic especially if its all dressed up. If you want a stated or agreed amount policy meant to cover a nice classic - do yourself a favor and get a company that does that as their business rather than those that simply play of the fringe of our market. At some point you'll be sorry. Even State Farm who is the largest personal lines carrier in the country - this market is a pimple on their ***. As i said above - there are many, many specialized carriers that cover these cars as a matter of course. Pick one and run with them. Generally speaking the premiums are all pretty palatable. There are archived threads here where everyone gives their opinion - search one out - hold your nose at the mainline carriers and chose one of the specialty carriers.

I had Hagerty while I was restoring my Roadrunner. they would not write "MY" agreed value after the car was completed. I changed to Grundy with no problems of my agreed value. It was a little higher premium. Car is covered anywhere it resides, parks, is driven, or trailered by me or others. If it is trailered by a nationwide transportation carrier, then the Carriers insurance would be Primary. Just lost my home to a fire (car was removed before the fire got to it) but homeowners insurance would not have covered it as it was considered an Antique. Hagerty has an ironclad section in the policy to tell you they will not cover it if it was raced. Have not had a claim so I cannot speak to that.
Just my 2 cents.
PT in Tennessee

Auto Transport Service
Back