• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Computer question

1967coronet

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:17 PM
Reaction score
My older dell PC was used when I bought it 6 - 7 years back.
Purchased from a guy who did home rebuilds on them.

I have got a message or two saying after 1 - 20 - 20 that windows 7 will not be supported any longer. I tried to update to windows 10 but get a message saying my windows 7 is not genuine {build 7601} not a big shock , its always ran fine , but do any of you tech savy guys know how to get around that and load windows 10 or even 8 if possible.
I dont mind paying for 8 or 10 if need be.
Just do not want to have to go out and purchase another PC.
Thanks for any help.

Thank you BeepBeep for taking the time to get those links.

I have heard of quite a few Windows 7 to Windows 10 "Upgrade" failures and issues. I would personally recommend a C:/ format and fresh "New" Windows 10 full install. You will be happy with 10.

The one I'm on now is a 7 … the other 2 are 10. Hell I'm keeping my 7. There's many things on it I like better. I still kno some using XP...

For the price, buy a new "used" pc with Windows 10 installed. I upgrade that way about every five years for around $200.. I get the latest Windows, a faster pc with more memory, etc..

When they say something is "no longer supported" it becomes vulnerable to viruses, trojans and all sorts of other malware because the anti-virus, etc is no longer updated. Sure, you may like Windows 7 ... and the scammers like that you like it !!

I have heard of quite a few Windows 7 to Windows 10 "Upgrade" failures and issues. I would personally recommend a C:/ format and fresh "New" Windows 10 full install. You will be happy with 10.

Thanks, I did fumble my way through it. LOL , I do have 10 now loaded at no cost, just had to use one of the free product keys from the 7 to 10 change over awhile back. worked fine. Thanks guys.

The one I'm on now is a 7 … the other 2 are 10. Hell I'm keeping my 7. There's many things on it I like better. I still kno some using XP...

I hear ya, I was able to get through it with the links beepbeep posted. Im no good at this stuff , most times have the grandkids help but was able to stumble through. LOL. My 8yr old grandson will give me a ataboy.

I would have still been using XP, but the old machine quit two years ago. I upgraded to 7 when that one quit.

I've had Win10 since I bought this thing a few years ago - but I run a Win7 emulator on it
so that everything looks/operates like a Win7 machine.
I am not a fan of Win10 on a PC; that's not what the OS was written for. Win10 is for other
stuff, with everything being app driven and all.
It's fine on my phone, laptops, what have you - but on the big box on my desk, Win7 please.

From what I can see of Win 10 is it runs on top of Win 7.
And why did they make things more difficult?

If you practice "safe computing" you are not likely to get a virus or trojan even if you have no anti-virus installed and are using an operating system that has not been supported for years.

My work is about 50/50 win7 and win10.

Of those, on about 1/2 of the win7 machines I have totally turned off updates.

Been fine for a couple years.

...and, if you buy a win10 machine with only 4GB ram, it will drag down when downloading and installing GB after GB of updates.

If you practice "safe computing" you are not likely to get a virus or trojan even if you have no anti-virus installed and are using an operating system that has not been supported for years.

And if you bang your girlfriend without using birth control she "might" not get pregnant.

Have a MAC since 2007 and never have had an issue. Just upgrade the OS when the new versions come out......I know they are more expensive, but as I said, no issues.

Not enuogh MC users to bother with hacking. Its all about numbers. I still have a windows 3.0 machine that still works. Not updating it or the 95, 98 or XP machine. No reason to have them tied to the web.

Auto Transport Service
Back