• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Concealed headlights opening newbie question

1970 birdman

Local time
4:24 PM
Reaction score
Hi everyone newbie here
I just bought a low mile superbird the car is just what I want with the exception of the headlights coming up after the car is off for 5 hours . I guess this is a vacuum leak but the owner said it is common place for them to come up after the car sits . Is this an expected issue and if so how long does it normally take for them to come up ? I know this is a 45 yo car and don't want to be picky if this is a common thing .
Thanks everyone

Birdman,
Welcome to the board you may want to go to the welcome section and introduce yourself. The headlight doors use the vacuum to open when the lights are turned on
I'm not familiar with the winged cars but don't understand why they would open with engine off?

I always understood the vacuum held them shut. Mine do stay closed while the car is off but some don't.

you have a leak in the system after engine is shut off...could be the headlight switch, the vacuum can, or even a cracked vacuum hose somewhere

the headlights coming up is a safety feature incase something in the system has a major failure so the lights would be up for nighttime driving

the headlights coming up is a safety feature incase something in the system has a major failure so the lights would be up for nighttime driving

True. There are springs on the doors so they will always pop up. When I had my Daytona, I simply disconnected the springs.

Mine was the Headlight switch. I used a vacuum pump at the switch, hoses, check the can, lines and actuator. It ended up being the switch.
Good thing I parted out plenty of 69 Chargers. I had a switch from one.

Hi everyone newbie here
I just bought a low mile superbird the car is just what I want with the exception of the headlights coming up after the car is off for 5 hours . I guess this is a vacuum leak but the owner said it is common place for them to come up after the car sits . Is this an expected issue and if so how long does it normally take for them to come up ? I know this is a 45 yo car and don't want to be picky if this is a common thing .
Thanks everyone

So,
You just bought a Superbird and you want my help?
Ha!

Just kidding birdman
Congratulations on purchasing one of my FAV cars of all time
Do as BeeKeeper suggested,: "Post" on newbies for us all to welcome you aboard...

Like the others have said you have a vacuum leak somewhere in the system. You can isolate the different areas of the system by pinching the vacuum hoses shut with hemostats. I would start at the firewall to see if its under the dash or under the hood, then work you way forward towards the nose or back towards the switch under the dash.

Auto Transport Service
Back