• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Condensers, New or Old

Slipping727

Local time
7:57 AM
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm in the process of converting my '70 GTX from an MSD and electronic distributor back to the original dual point distributor.
I purchased a condenser from O'Reilys and it seems to be working fine.
While searching through forums, I see alot of people have had bad luck with the new ones and recommend older NOS ones for reliability.
When I see older, NOS condensers for sale, they look like they were made 40, 50 maybe 60 years ago.
My main concern is, do these old condensers have a shelf life? Do they wear out from age?
I don't know much about condensers, but I'm kind of undecided if I should continue to use a cheaply made new one? or use an old, aged, 50 year old NOS one?
Any comments and suggestions would be appreciated
Thanks, Jeff

Hello,
I'm in the process of converting my '70 GTX from an MSD and electronic distributor back to the original dual point distributor.
While searching through forums, I see alot of people have had bad luck with the new ones and recommend older NOS ones for reliability.
When I see older, NOS condensers for sale, they look like they were made 40, 50 maybe 60 years ago.
My main concern is, do these old condensers have a shelf life? Do they wear out from age?
I don't know much about condensers, but I'm kind of undecided if I should continue to use a cheaply made new one? or use an old, aged, 50 year old NOS one?
Thanks, Jeff

Electrolytic Capacitors of that age leak, meaning they don’t hold tolerance anymore. Most electronics guys replace them in electronic gear. I don’t know how much it would affect your points, but I’d go with a new one.

Last edited:
I have only had one condenser go bad in 50 plus years. @HALIFAXHOPS can tell you more, but I would use NOS if available. I have a 67 GTX running points and I have NOS points in it, but didn't change the condenser as it was running OK when the points were changed. I don't know much about the history of this car, but that condenser could possibly be the original. I have had it over 20 years.

Electrolytic Capacitors of that age leak, meaning they don’t hold tolerance anymore. Most electronics guys replace them in electronic gear. I don’t know how much it would affect your points, but I’d go with a new one.
I was thinking along those lines as I had a stereo receiver from the '70s worked on and some of the capacitors were old and dried out. Just not sure if an ignition condenser is the same or not.

I was thinking along those lines as I had a stereo receiver from the '70s worked on and some of the capacitors were old and dried out. Just not sure if an ignition condenser is the same or not.
I can follow your thinking there as I worked on TV's and radios of the 50's thru the 70's and found many capacitors bad, but just have not found that to be the case with automotive ignitions of the era. I would use a tested good NOS condenser in a heartbeat.

If you have a good condenser in there and running good - just leave it there.
They can last for many years.

Hello,
Thanks, Jeff
They are tested just like 9 volt batteries. Tongue, wire, case.

You are correct about electrolytic capacitors .... but the condenser (capacitor) in a points style distributor is not an electrolytic capacitor but is a small oil filled device, where the oil is an insulating fluid. Later, I believe they are a dry design. @HALIFAXHOPS on this site is an EXCELLENT source for NOS distributor components and offers a rebuilding service for them. PM him .....you'll be glad you did....
BOB RENTON

Hello,
Thanks, Jeff

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR DECISION......electronic ignigion systems are fine.....but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the points system. I too, have an origional numbers matching Prestolite dual point distributor in my 1970 Plymouth GTX RS23V0A******, the car performs well and looks origional. I can buzz the 440 six barrel engine to 6500 RPM and never miss a beat. Just my opinion of course.....
BOB RENTON

The older condensers if stored dry are fine maybe 1 out of 200 fail. New ones are a real crap shoot half fail when they go through a few hot cold cycles. I wont touch any made past 1980 in my rebuilds. Just me. If Needed I have them tested NOS or NORS if needed.

Auto Transport Service
Back