• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Confessions of a body shop owner.

ga66mopar

Local time
8:48 PM
Reaction score
Here is some good info about body shops. Worth the read.

“Anybody know of a good body shop in (enter your city name here)?”, “How do I get my body shop to work on my car?”, “My car is being held for ransom!”, or just simply “Body shop Blues”. I’m sure you have all seen topics similar to these posted. Gentlemen, my name is MARTINSR and I was one of those dirty rotten bastards that would keep your car ten times longer than I promised.

For the guy not doing his own body work or at least not all of it, he is at the mercy of the body shop. It is not a nice position to be in. In fact, it can go down as one of the low points in your life. I have seen horror stories that would make your hair stand on end. A long time customer of mine (he owned about 60 cars and usually had a few in shops around the area at all times) had a car that was held as evidence in a murder. Yep, it had blood splattered on it when one of the shops owners killed the other with a baseball bat!

The following is my generalization of restoration shops that I have owned, seen or worked at. There are exceptions to the rule. Please don’t beat me up if I have rolled your shop into the mix when you are an exception. But, if you do see yourself, I suggest you get down to your neighborhood junior college and take a course or two in business. One of the great myths is that we each think our business is so unique, we can’t learn from a “regular” business class. Well after much instruction and exposure to the business side of things I can tell you, business is BUSINESS. Whether you are running a liqueur store, a cat house, or a body shop, they are all exactly the same. Sales are SALES, period.

So, we can agree a body shop is a business, being a good body man does not make you a good businessman. Restoration shops are usually owned by good body men, not good businessmen. It is very hard to make money doing restoration work, it is very easy to make money doing regular collision work. The business man makes his money doing collision work and tells all the customers with restoration work to go to Joe’s Body shop down the street, he does the restorations. Joe loves doing what he is doing, but seldom makes much money. He is an artist, a true master at his craft. Joe sees things at what they can “become”, not what they “are”. When Joe sees a car he doesn’t see the time it will take to make it the show winner he knows it will be, he only sees it as the show winner. I really don’t believe he means to lie to you when he says it will be done in a month, he is looking at through rose colored glasses, his vision is altered. Like a woman forgets the pain of giving birth, so does Joe when he gazes upon the beautiful car he has carried for nine months (or longer). And when the next rust bucket rolls in, he has forgotten about the hundreds of hours needed, he only sees a luscious rose garden.

Like I said few make a living at restoration or hot rod work. The biggies that you have heard of like Roy Brizio or Boyd Codington all make money with other ventures, not the rod shop. The first time I visited Brizios shop this was very apparent. The rod shop is about 5000 square feet sitting in the middle of a 50,000 square foot building. The rest of the building is Brizios manufacturing business. It is all non auto related by the way. The rod shop is a hobby, I don’t doubt for a second he makes money, but it is a hobby none the less.

So when you go looking for a shop to do your car you have to remember this, you are most likely going to be dealing with an artist. If you think the business end of it is going to go smooth, think again. If you build yourself up and believe everything, you are in for a BIG let down. If you set yourself up for less than that you will be much better off. I suggest getting ready for MUCH, MUCH less and then you will be happy when it only takes five months instead of the ten you got ready for. If he said one month and that is what you are planning, by the time five months rolls around you are ready to kill someone.

These are HUGE generalizations but I have found a few signs that may help you in picking out a shop. If nothing else they will help you understand who you are dealing with.

1. If there is more than one car sitting in the shop covered with dust, this may be a bad sign. If you have been around body shops much you know that dust build up is like the rings in a tree, you can tell by the layers and colors how many YEARS it has been sitting. If there is a car that is being used for storage of misc. boxes and things, bad sign. My brother used to joke that I should bolt a vice on the fender of the car, at least I could get some use out of it! Coyly ask “Cool car, is that yours?” if he says “Naw, it’s a customers”, BAD SIGN. If there are ten stalls in the shop and six have dust covered cars in them, RUN. I shouldn’t have to tell you this one, but if there are guys hanging around with beers in their hands, RUN.

2. How many stalls does he have? I have found that the real restoration/rod shops seem to have only room to have three or four cars at a time. If you only had room to work on three cars, you are going to be damn certain they get out so you can have room for the next. One of the most successful custom shops I have ever seen was a little four stall shop in Pittsburgh California. It is the famous (well at least on the west coast) DeRosa and son Customs. Frank has been around since the fifties making show winning cars. He and his son Frank Jr. do the same today and do it FAST. They a neat, little and clean shop. If you have seen the 2001 DuPont calendar they did the “Cadster”. It was only in the shop for a few weeks. By the way, it doesn’t have DuPont primers on it like the calendar says, Martin Senour primer was used.

3. Does he look at your car like they do at the McPaint shops, you know, all jobs all colors the same price? If he doesn’t take a good long look at the car taking notes, he has no clue what he is doing. He is looking at the car with those rose colored glasses. Every single panel should be examined and noted for the amount of hours needed. If he just looks over the car without doing this he is surely going to be WAY off. If he is way off on how much he is charging you, what incentive does he have to work on it?

So let’s say you have a shop you would like to bring it to, you really need to case the joint. Turn into a stalker and keep an eye on the shop. You know for months that you are going to need a body shop. Watch the shops for months. Drive by during business hours and see if they are actually open. Many of these guys (remember they are not good businessmen) take their open sign as sort of a guide line. If it says 8:00 to 5:00 it is more like 9:15 to 2:00 then 4:25 to 7:00, they can’t get your car done like that. See if any cars leave. If you go by there and see the same cars sitting there and many little jobs going in and out, BAD SIGN. I have to tell you, those little money making collision jobs are dang hard to turn away. If I had a million hour job sitting there and it was the 28th of the month I am going to set it aside for the $800.00 job I can do in two days to pay the rent.

If they don’t allow you to walk around and check the place out, be wary. Look at the paint dept, does he have a booth? Is there junk and open cans all over? Is there many different brands of paint? This is usually not a good sign, he buys anything he can get his hands on. This is many times the sign of a “junior chemist”, they guy that mixes products and doesn’t follow tech sheets.

If you have decided that this is the shop you want to go to, help the poor guy. You “suggest” to him how you want to go about the money part. This is the ONLY way you should do it believe me. Don’t give him a deposit and leave the car. This is darn near a guarantee that your car will be sitting for weeks while he uses that money to buy parts for a high profit collision job or simply pay a long standing bill. Which then leaves your car sitting there with no incentive to work on it.

Here is what you need to do. Tell him that you want to do only ONE of the things on your car, at a time. You want to get a price for all of them maybe so you know what it is headed, but do only one at a time. You will pay him for one step at a time. Not because you don’t trust him, but because YOU are bad with money and that YOU don’t want to leave him hanging after the car is done with no money to pick it up.

This way it is more like he is in control and made the decision. Then you negotiate the time it will take for each step. Let’s say you have patch panels to do on the front fenders. You agree that he will have them done at the end of the week, and that they will cost $200.00. He has something to work for, he knows he will get the money and he actually does it. You go see him on Friday see the work done and give him the $200.00. Then you pick another thing to do. Just as if you were doing these things at home, break them down into bite sized pieces so he can swallow them. If you go in there and find that he hasn’t done it or he has done poor work, you can then say “I am sorry to yank your chain, I don’t have any more money, I just lost my job” and take the car, no body owes a thing. If he does not want to do this, you really need to start rethinking your choice of a shop. Either this or variation of this should be fine with him. If it is not, something is wrong.

If he really wanted to make money he would be doing this. The first restoration job I ever did where I really felt I made money was done just this way. It was a little ’58 Bug eye Sprite. I had decided that something had to be done or I would fall into the same trap as before with a car sitting forever. One of the first shops I ever worked at was a full on restoration shop. It broke the rule and was pretty big, with four full time employees. Every car had a time card assigned to it. When you worked on the car, you punched in. Then each month (these were HUGE frame off restorations on 30’s and 40’s vintage Fords) the owner would receive a bill with the times worked. If they couldn’t pay, the car left, period. The guy made money and I finally got smart (after about 12 years in business) and followed his lead. I put a sign on this Bug Eye and would post the hours I spent on it. I told the guy to come by each week. Now, when the guy came in and saw only two hours were spent, he was not very happy. That was a heck of an incentive for me right there I will tell you that! It worked great, I actually got paid for every minute I worked, unlike most restoration projects. And he actually got the car back in close to what I said. It was still late, but not ten times as late as I had done before.

Another thing I highly recommend is to take plenty of photos of the car, really detailed photos. When you drop the car off leave him a copy of them. Letting him know you have a copy. Not threatening like “I am doing this so I can prove you lied to me” more like “I can’t wait to see how different it is and you can have these before shots to show future customers”. Which is true, it is just not the only reason you are doing it. If he is doing a full on restoration for you, I HIGHLY recommend parts like chrome and interior be taken home after he removes them so they don’t get stolen or damaged. You need to have a very close relationship with the shop, if these visits make the guy edgy, you really need to find another shop.

If you have the attitude that you are genuinely interested in how this work is done, not how he will do YOUR car, but just in general. You will find that he will be much more likely to “show off” his talents than if you go in there like an untrusting customer.

Along with these photos you want a VERY detailed work order. Run like the wind if he has no work order. Still run if he has a work order that says “fix dents and rust” as the repairs being done. RUN, I say. You need to have a fully detailed work order, not for legal reasons (wink, wink) but for your own records to show the wife where all the money went. The “wife” is a great way to get things done. You need to come look to see what is done because the wife wants to see. Bring her in there, she has an excuse, she knows nothing right? So you bring her in to see what magic this guy is doing to your car so she can understand why it costs so much. Bring a friend when you drop the car off, be sure he hears everything that is said. Let him or her help you make the decision on leaving it there. Sometimes YOU too can be looking through rose colored glasses. If someone else says they have a bad feeling, LISTEN to them.

There are few things that can compare with returning to a shop to find the place is locked tight and the mail is piling up on the floor where the carrier has dropped it through the slot. I have seen it, it really happens. The good news is it is rare, just take your time and find a shop where you feel comfortable.

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9327

Great read ga66mopar, as someone who has been going thru this for the last 2.5 years i can attest to the bad and ugly sides of working with a "restoration" shop. I run my own business and i simply couldn't get away with operating like this. Resto and body shops seem to operate under the wild west code of business. I'll be happy report the good as soon as i experience it. From my standpoint i don't know if i would tackle another resto unless i could do all the work myself.

Great read.

HUGE THANKS for your insight!

Beav

Good read. Biggest problem is lack of integrity and no accountability as I have experienced too many times with shops in my area. I have money and resources set aside upfront for them but there is always an excuse as to why they can't deliver.

true words...I ALWAYS pass on cars that need bodywork/paint ..I just don't feel the need for aggravation at this time of my life .. there are good guys out there no doubt but to hard to distinguish ...I've had friends who swear by certain shops and then someone uses them a year later and its a horror story ...no thanks

I've found the best way to deal with shops like this is once they've taken far longer than promised, file a claim with the Better Business Bureau. Spell out exactly what was promised, what has happened, and what action you want the shop to take. The BBB will give the shop a notice and 14 days to respond, and they probably won't. Then the BBB sends a second notice and they get a second 14 days to respond. After that the complaint becomes permanent and you get a written report of the shop's failure to respond.

Once you get that report, send the shop a certified letter stating they have two weeks to show some action or you will take them to court and sue them for a refund of all monies provided, plus any damage or lost parts, plus legal costs, plus $25 a day for each day beyond the promised delivery day for a rental fee. Also add in any costs for your time and trouble making trips to the shop. Send that, along with a copy of the BBB report, via registered mail.

If they still fail to comply, take them to court, get your money, and find a better shop.

I was told by someone in the business to always get a contract. Pay them as they go,even if its a check ever week and never let them have large sums of money wit out work being done

Thanks good read, advice

6 words
Performance Completion Written Contract Penalty Clause

if they don't want to do it,
run away, run away fast as you can, find someone else who will..
It holds them accountable,
they're penalized if they don't finish by an agreed time/date cost
&/or even they could be compensated for change orders un foreseen issues,
get it all in writing...

I've just learned to channel my inner Jon Taffer when dealing with automobile vendors...

4a063fd8114bd4c8f2f7c6ef1abd9521.jpg

Great thread,

I have learnt to do my own body work. From my stand point it is a right of passage to a beautiful car.
The same goes for engine building and the car as whole.

Mistakes will be made and lessons learnt but at the end of the day I can say I did it all.

By the way on full project build I will always start with the body and never the engine.

excellent post......... im the poor bastard that restores for a living....... and you'd be lucky to have me :icon_joker:

I have my own mechanical shop, I also do bodywork as does a good friend of mine ( body shop only) I have only started one restoration , done tons of overalls . The restoration was one of those "how much to paint it" ,,,,,,, wait a minute ! What about the trunk floor, floor boards , fender patches etc( this is me asking ) customer agreed I would complete the work and he would pay as I went , great! ,,, right? Well shortly into the "restoration " he decided he ran out of money, and I'll mention it was only a few thousand dollars . Lesson here is , and I am speaking for my buddy also as we have both been through it, there are a lot of unreasonable cheap people out there that expect a show car or at least a super nice driver for little shop compensation. I can get 100 , $4000 "restorations " to 0 15-20000 good jobs . If you are like me and want to do it right, right , right , it seems we get priced right out of a job that's when it's a catch 22 situation . Bottom line if a fella is goin to be a tight wad with the money , don't expect the job to be done in a couple weeks , we all got bills to pay and the money must come from somewhere . Good work ain't cheap, cheap work ain't good ! Good work ain't fast and fast work ain't good .

I had a guy I used for a few jobs who was excellent but slooow as could be and complained alot. Finally after waiting months on some parts. I took them to another guys shop I know who handles insurance claims. He agreed on a price and they were done in a week. In my opinion they were not as high of quality of the other guy but they were done and he didn't give me any problems about the way I wanted them painted. So some times its a trade off.

I have my own mechanical shop, I also do bodywork as does a good friend of mine ( body shop only) I have only started one restoration , done tons of overalls . The restoration was one of those "how much to paint it" ,,,,,,, wait a minute ! What about the trunk floor, floor boards , fender patches etc( this is me asking ) customer agreed I would complete the work and he would pay as I went , great! ,,, right? Well shortly into the "restoration " he decided he ran out of money, and I'll mention it was only a few thousand dollars . Lesson here is , and I am speaking for my buddy also as we have both been through it, there are a lot of unreasonable cheap people out there that expect a show car or at least a super nice driver for little shop compensation. I can get 100 , $4000 "restorations " to 0 15-20000 good jobs . If you are like me and want to do it right, right , right , it seems we get priced right out of a job that's when it's a catch 22 situation . Bottom line if a fella is goin to be a tight wad with the money , don't expect the job to be done in a couple weeks , we all got bills to pay and the money must come from somewhere . Good work ain't cheap, cheap work ain't good ! Good work ain't fast and fast work ain't good .

I think this goes to the "managing expectations" discussion I frequently have with new and potential owners. Most folks I talk to these days don't want a restoration. They don't want one, they don't need one, and they don't have the resources to have one done, but they are always hearing the "DONE RIGHT!" BS from vendors, other owners, and worse... the peanut gallery critics at car shows. They are told "well, if you want it done right, you need to do this, that, and the other thing", and before you know it they've completely lost track of what it was they needed and they are exhausting their budget and killing their project trying to attain what others say they should want, and that is a straight-up, no ****, recipe for failure in this hobby.

This is why I take the time to sit and talk with these folks and help them separate what they need from what others want. Bodywork is a huge part of this. There is not a damn thing wrong with good Bondo work on a bad panel, yet these folks will hear a dozen times how if they want it "done right" they need new sheet metal. There is not a damn thing wrong with a Maaco paint job that costs $1,000 to $1,500, yet they will hear a dozen times how if they want it "done right" they need to spend five times that much... to paint a car that came from the factory with a paint job that was lower quality than most franchise shops!!!

If someone is coming to a shop and saying "I just want some dents fixed and the car painted", then fix the dents and paint it! If you're projecting your desires for restoring a car and pointing out all sorts of issues that "you" would correct, and making these folks feel like they need to go beyond their budget to have things "done right", then you shouldn't be surprised when they run out of money and you run out of work. Those suggestions are fine for customers who come in and say "I want to restore this car to as new" or "I want to make this into a show car", but they are not fine for the customer with a limited budget who just wants their car to look nice for cruise night.

My suggestion is sit down with them, determine how much they have to work with, and determine what you can do for them in that price range. Then you'll both be happy.

I think there are plenty of reasons why there are issues with cars being restored. I have no doubt many of them are due to the body shop owner, but I also don't doubt that many faults fall on the car owner too. As mentioned above, I think both need to have a realistic expectation and understanding going in to the process. If either of the two are unrealistic, then you have problems.

One thing that has not been mentioned is, as a car owner, to ask around for other people's experiences with a given body shop. To me, that is a great indicator of what you will likely achieve.

My goal with my car was to develop a positive partnership with Mark, who did my car. It has to be a win-win situation. My car got done, and the work is great. Was it cheap? Heck no, but anyone would be dreaming if they think they can get a cheap full body restoration. I would like to think of Mark as a friend now, and I also hope and believe it worked out well for both. So as a car owner, be realistic and understand there is a LOT of work in getting a car straight, nice and rust free. If you pay someone to do that, it will cost money. But also, as a car owner, you also need to set expectations of what you want and how you want certain things done. Check up on the body shop and keep showing interest and concern in your car. Pay as you go, but be ready to pay. As soon as the car owner starts with excuses with paying, that sends an immediate signal to the body shop owner too. Don't expect to get your car done if you make the body shop chase you when it comes time to make a payment!

So bottom line: In my opinion, it takes two parties to make a successful restoration project go well. For a car owner, do your homework to pick a good body shop and walk away from one that isn't. For the body shop owner, do your homework and turn away the unrealistic car owner. When both are good, you can have a successful outcome!

Think I found a great guide to finding a shop for my car, thanks 66!

Good article with a lot of good info and advice. One of the things I run into occasionally is someone will ask me where they should take their car for bodywork/paint/restoration. I will try to aim them in the right direction, but anymore I refuse to recommend a specific shop in my area. There weren't many shops in my area that would even consider doing a resto to begin with and many of them are out of business or have gone to doing strictly collision work because it's way more lucrative. The main reason I won't recommend a shop is because most peoples expectations are way out of whack with reality. Even some "car guys" I know don't have any idea whats involved with regular bodywork and paint much less with restoration work. It's just easier for me to stay out of it so I don't have to listen to all the bitching later.

Shelly's Auto Body in Danielsville, Pennsylvania. Mountain Road. Scum-sucking paint shop from hell. Liar and thief too. Held my Coronet hostage for a year, then made a mess of the paint. Moral? Don't go to Chevy shops.

Insurance controlled industry is DOOMED from the git....unless you've done the **** for 10 years, you are are a neophyte...yep there's a lot of punks on the take, just like ANY f-ing biznizz. The only f-ing people getting over in this **** are the insurance companies, they CONTROL production flat rates & they don't f-ing supplement anymore, and the pace of society and somebody wanting a complete in two weeks...results are doomed before they have begun...it's called POST-CURE ALL surfacing materials have SOLVENT....as solvent vents you lose DENSITY...., GRAVITY takes over & **** shrinks. THINGS NEED KICK & , VENT time before they are worked and more **** stuck on top. CLUE....Paint will vent solvent up to a YEAR! So no matter how much they try to turn something where you deal w/ shape(ART FORM)into industry... & You use chemicals that are unpredictable...most problem oriented biz there is...You deal w/ do-over all the f-ing time...it IS Hell's Kitchen. The Bigassed PUNKS in this game is INSURANCE companies......prime ingredient in expecting decent results is allowing time...You Can't Fight Fate and that's the way this **** is fated....i've been in this sandbox a LIFETIME....You want decent work, don't rely on the insurance co, AIN'T gonna happen.....and work on being PATIENT, because of all the other **** that's requisite....CURE TIME IS ESSENTIAL or it doesn't matter how much f-ing money you throw at the bitch.
Wanna get educated...go work in a production body shop for two years....if You care about trying to do something w/ finesse, you will never be able to leave the job when the whistle blows...it follows you home and wakes you in the middle of the night in a cold sweat.." oh God not f-ing again" Highest rate of alchoholism in trades....yeah there's shyster straightener/refinishers, but the room for no doubt shyster is the insurance syndicate. they ******* robbing EVERYBODY. The people that mfg the very fallible, soft materials for building, surfacing & painting...oh they make out big too...3M stuff goes up twice a year. in 80' i was paying 10.00 a qt for thick rich 05928 finesse it....it's 50-60.00 bucks a qt now, & it's watery crap...a single roll of 2" green 3M mask tape @ a paint supply will be $11.00 out the door...MASKING TAPE!!!!
DIY & be calculated, PATIENT, want best assurances of quality is to take Your time and LET **** CURE shrinkage is one thing, but if solvent gets trapped and can't vent, starts gassing throughout under paint when skin heats up, then You've got really major headache as stuff swells, sometimes breaking. ONLY apply materials to COOL surface...never in direct sunlight, mud primer paint etc.

Good work takes a LOT of time, thats just reality.

threatening w/ litigation might get your car back sooner, but it certainly buys a lot WORSE attitude from shop, so you're just inviting a whole lot more sin under the paint ultimately.. You cannot **** a shitter the definition of insanity is doing same over & over & expecting different result each time.....thas production bodywork & paint....because it is art form, the methods & materials are fallible and archaic, it is something that is best done hand for results & that requires a lot of time...it is NOT mechanics, it is not compressable. it's got its own zen & rate it werks best at.....i've done a lot of wrenching...apples & oranges......the quality quotient of work across cntry is piss poor because an art form doesn't fit into category of industry very well no matter how much they keep trying....insanity....get the insurance companies to supplement....they expect that lumps of **** can be estimated...there's this too.....when it's an accident repair, keep in mind who f-d it up in first place. Profit margin keeps slimming down as cost of doing biz goes up and labor hours don't. Mercedes dealership here in basin gets 125.00 an hour now, for wrenching, highest flate rate for B & P that ins. co.s allow & use in basin maybe 75.00 @ top....the the smaller 3 & 4 stall independent body shops are still working 40.00-50.00 per labor hr. Yes, do your own work and get some education. Shops get behind real kwik, lot of robbing Peter to pay Paul trying to keep doors open......Even a small multi stall LEGITIMATE paying the fee's to do business will burn up 5K deposit in week if it's going to shops expenses.....1/3rds is what i generally werk begin mid end....so if the thing turns sour and customer doesn't make last 3rd, i came out somewhat neurtal.....i don't turn out ****, but there are people who CAN'T be satisfied....i weed out my working garden intensely & am selective as hell about just who it is i get into bed with...i will NEVER work on a lawyers car, unless i already have a personal relationship with them

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back