• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Convert manual drums to power

lebshiff21

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:13 AM
Reaction score
I've searched and read a bunch here and think I get (most) of what is needed to do this, links below. I'm guessing I'll need to do some work on the brake lines since the current cylinder only has a single outlet. What else am I missing?

It's for a '65 Coronet 440.

https://www.performanceonline.com/m...outh-car-power-brake-booster-kit-19530-62-74/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-Powe...979444&hash=item2edbe9e70a:g:eBQAAOSwaKVcmlzD

I'm not so sure you need to swap masters. For safety you might want to, but my dad's 66 Charger has power drum brakes and one line coming out the front of the master, so it's possible to run that master. I believe its only the cam assembly/pedal rod that adapts the power booster pedal rod inside the car and the booster itself with the correct firewall plate.

Go all the way dual master cylinder And proportioning valve, you'll like it.
I also did hydro booster now I got brakes.

If you don't want to change the spindle, an SSBC wheel kit works well and you can buy the dual master cylinder from RockAuto.
Then you just need the distribution block and a couple lines.
I have this setup on my Charger and it works well.
Please upgrade the master cylinder, a single is just not a safe option.

Yes, you can actually get it for less at summit.
That's the one, it's good quality stuff and you can fit 14" wheels.
I can even run my stock 14" steel rims with a 1/4" spacer.

I have Cragar 14" wheels on the car, what's the best way to make sure they'll fit or know if I need a spacer?

I think the Cragars will go right on.
I think SSBC has a dimensional drawing if you dig around on the internet.
But the real test is to put the wheel on after the conversion, you can look at drawings all day...

On my 66 it was a direct bolt in maybe someone else can confirm on a 65.
I'm thinking a 65 is the same.

Auto Transport Service
Back