• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Convert Your Three Foot T12 T8 Shop Lights To LED

Auggie56

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:02 AM
Reaction score
I went to the hardware store to pick up a pair of ballasts for two shop lights that quit working. Seventeen eighty-five each. The salesman showed me the lights in the store. Their daylight LED but no ballast needed. For twenty bucks a pair I bought four lamps and am pleased with the ease of installation and the light they give.

Last edited:
That looks pretty easy. I missed a deal online at Sam's club a while back. 10 pack of Honeywell linkable multi-mode 4' LED for $199. I didn't need 10 but didn't talk to a couple people quick enough and missed the deal.

I rewired all 39 fixtures in my shop last year. One LED "bulb" put out more lumens than the pair of T-8s so I only used one bulb per fixture ( I did add more later as the extra light is addictive). I left the ballasts in the existing lamps (let someone else worry about disposal) and after I got rolling (literally-I was on a Baker scaffold) it only took about 5 minutes per lamp to rewire. Yesterday I had a failure (first one) and swapped in a new bulb-OK. This move is one of the best changes I have made to my shop!
I purchased the "bulbs" online.
Mike
https://www.amazon.com/Single-End-F...5980&sr=8-12&keywords=led+4'+shop+light+bulbs

I forgot to mention, eBay sells these lamps pretty cheap compared to what I paid. Around half as much and no shipping.

Auto Transport Service
Back