• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

converter question

1967coronet

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:58 PM
Reaction score
Will a external balanced convertor off a 727 that came from a 76 cordoba with a 400 be ok balance wise to put behind my external balanced 1976 440 motor home engine ?

I didn't know if the weight on the converter would be correct to balance the 440 bottom end. Or are all the converters off cast crank engines weighted the same for external balance ?
I also have a neutral balanced { no weight } converter and could go with a weighted flex plate if I have to.
I would just as soon use the one off the 400 since I have it if it will work.
Thanks.

They are different 6 pack is different too I don't remember how much
any converter shop should be able to get the right weights on
I'll see if I can find the weights (somewhere in old files)
harmonic balancer is tougher

Mopar Performer used to sell the weights and a template to install them. 440 cast , 440 6 pac rod, 400 cast, and 360 are all different weight.
Doug

Thanks again guys, I called Ft Dodge Transmission {not to far from me}and talked to their converter guy.
I have the correct one on the way for my cast crank 1976 440 , my flex plate is the 11 &1/8" spacing on the converter bolt holes. He said it will fit my flex plate and is the right weight for balance of the engine.

Auto Transport Service
Back