• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Converting a 67 belvedere from AC to non AC

dsd1967

Local time
7:03 AM
Reaction score
I plan on getting rid of all the AC stuff on my 67 belvedere and want to convert it to just heat. Does anyone know the difference between a 67 and 69 heater box? Are they the same or significantly different? I have a couple of the 69 ones laying around and it would be nice if that would work.

Take/ compare measurements. Visually they look the same.

I Swapped out my 66 AC heater box for a Heater ony unit from another 66 B Body, Most of the firewall mount holes are different,You''l need to patch the old AC fan hole Bolt holes first before mounting the new Heater box.
As far as I recall the 68 heater is the same, Best to check with Mr. Heaterbox and see what other model/years will work for you.

Ron

I think the heater cores are different . Try not to damage any of the original AC components they do bring desent money at online auctions , I have a complete non AC heater box from a 67' Polara C body not sure how different they are, there farely reasonable to buy just about anywere.

Unless you are changing out dashboards,and controls, leave it alone and use as heat only. You might want to go back to A/C one day. You could remove the coil from your box and plug the firewall hole if you want, I just capped off my lines.

Attachments

• IMG_6401.jpg
    IMG_6401.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_6397.jpg
    IMG_6397.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_6400.jpg
    IMG_6400.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 208
Are you looking to reduce weight and don't care too much if the car retains it's original look but still want to have some heat in the winter? If so, you can install a small cooler similar to a trans cooler with an electric fan attached to it. Heat can still be controlled with a valve in the heater hose....

I don't ever plan on putting this thing back to an AC car. I have a donor 69 non AC firewall that I plan on patching the 67 with. I only want the option of heat when weather gets cooler up here.

The car is a clean 67 four door belvedere from down south. I plan on putting a 512 stroker with a 4 speed and 391's out back, tie the frame, relocate the springs and widen the wheel tubs to get some decent tires under it. I even plan on running the original hubcaps on it so that it looks like a granny car from a side profile. Just a fun sleeper.

Does anyone have a picture of a 66-67 non AC heater core that I could compare the 69 unit with?

This is a 67 plymouth non a/c firewall if it helps:icon_neutral:

Attachments

• 67 belvedere 041.jpg
    67 belvedere 041.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 185
  • 67 belvedere 042.jpg
    67 belvedere 042.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 200
  • 67 belvedere 040.jpg
    67 belvedere 040.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 187
  • 67 belvedere 038.jpg
    67 belvedere 038.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 185
Thanks for the pictures Hemi-itis. The non AC firewalls were the same from 66-70, so I won't be able to tell much from that....but that's also why I'm thinking they will be close to working. I contacted Mr Heaterbox, and they said dimensionally they are the same but there is a slight difference in the internal flapper door. He thought I could make the 69 unit work.

Auto Transport Service
Back