• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Converting flat hood to Air Grabber

Olwhite63

Local time
10:50 AM
Reaction score
Anybody done this and taken lots of pictures they'd be willing to share? I bought a repop'd bubble and door but really have never seen any pictures of what the hood looks like without the reinforcement ring installed or how the hinge bolts to the door.

Can anybody help me out?

Thanks in advance...

For a 71-2? I did this one about 15 years ago. Sorry I didn't take any photos. It was pretty self explanatory.

DSC00736.JPG Sean's field trip 2007 053.jpg

Where did you get the parts and how much were they?

There is a member here with a freshly painted white car that posted pics of the hood and rectangular cut out.

Where did you get the parts and how much were they?

There is a member here with a freshly painted white car that posted pics of the hood and rectangular cut out.

That would be me.
I too got my setup from Stinger fibreglass. The cost has gone up. I paid $500 for mine.
I bought the hood insert along with the air grabber door. I did not buy any of the underhood components.
There is a diagram showing the hole locations online somewhere. I had a member on the Road runner nest website send them to me.
Measure twice (or 3 times) and cut.
upload_2021-1-19_6-46-28.png

upload_2021-1-19_6-46-55.png

IMG_20200725_103220688.jpg

I bought a 71 parts car that had a harwood scoop on the stock hood with an oval cut out.

I'm entertaining the same project.

Saw a kit on ebay for $400 but was "glue on" which I did not want.

I bought a 71 parts car that had a harwood scoop on the stock hood with an oval cut out.

I'm entertaining the same project.

Saw a kit on ebay for $400 but was "glue on" which I did not want.

I bought mine off ebay as well - $430 + $70 to ship. Claims to be a glue-on but it has all of the bosses there to use studs and it is a very nice piece, not a fiberglass potato chip. I'm very happy with mine.

I will hunt over at the Road Runner nest and see if I can find it over there.

Thanks for the pictures/info - I really appreciate it!

Matt

Please let me know if tapping into those stud bosses works out.

Here's pictures of a 70 RR air grabber I did using a kit that the owner provided.
Christmas 201320141003_03 (1).JPG
Christmas 201320141003_06 (1).JPG
Christmas 201320141004_10.JPG
Christmas 201320141004_14 (1).JPG
Christmas 201320141019_01.JPG
Christmas 201320141020_05.JPG
Christmas 201320141020_07 (1).JPG
Christmas 201320141020_06.JPG

Please let me know if tapping into those stud bosses works out.
YY1, I did forget to mention that I did purchase the mounting fasteners, but not from Stinger - I think I got them from resto Ricks.
They include the studs for the bosses as well as the 4 bell shaped fasteners for the 4 large hole bosses closest to the cowl.
I'll be waiting for warmer weather to mount the hood insert as I don't have heat in my shop.
I will be taking pictures as I go along.

My car has an original air grabber assembly but not sure the hood was air grabber from the factory or just a satellite hood a PO adapted all the factory AG stuff to...
It is entirely disassembled, so if you need dimensions for the holes, let me know...
Also, not sure how accurate any of the re-pops are, but the rear 4 mounting bosses on the original protrude through the hood so those 4 holes are larger than the rest and there are bell-nuts that are used on those studs. Anyway, those bell-nuts are not cheap...even repros...
Year One would have you over $100 for all 4 nuts....
https://www.yearone.com/Product/chrysler-b-body/sr183

Last edited:
That's what I'm finding as well. The listing I have for the ring shows it for a 70 Plymouth and a 71-72 Dodge ONLY. Anybody have any experience with this? Does anybody even sell the correct ring for a 71 Plymouth?

71-72 plymouths do not have a weld in ring. It's simply a cut out in the hood that the fiberglass bubble and underhood duct bolt to.
hood.jpg

71/72 Plymouth the door is in a fiberglass addition to the standard hood.

70 Plymouth and 71/72 Dodge, door is in the metal of the optional and stamped differently hood

Here is a diagram for the cutout on the satellite hood. Found this a while back and held on to it. Hope this helps.
Image97.jpg
Image98.jpg

Those are the diagrams I have here somewhere, I used them to do my hood.
Like I said......measure twice (or three times) & cut once.
The diagram above says the mounting thru holes to be 3/8" dia. I think that's too big.
The holes that go thru the hood should only be one size up from the stud size, which in this case is a 1/4-20NC thread size.
The holes on the underside have to be big enough to get a 7/16" socket up inside as some of the hole locations go into the underside ribbing.

The back 4 holes are to 13/16" dia. as it says on the diagram, but first measure the tapered bosses on the Air grabber to confirm.

note also that the hole size in the outer skin (4 large holes at the back of the hood) is smaller than the same hole in the underside frame.

Auto Transport Service
Back