• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Converting to 67-later 727??

PT64POLARA

Local time
8:12 PM
Reaction score
Hey guys. This is my first post on this forum. I own a 64 Polara 500. 383/727 console shift. I am having a ton of trouble with my tranny. Can't fix a pan leak and constant trouble with the park lock cable. It shifts very well, but I am getting tired of all the little bs problems. I want to move up to a 67-later 727, but I was wondering how involved it is. I know the tranney mount is different ( i think i would have to use an a body mount.) Also, should i look for an original unit and rebuild it, or just pick up a new one (TCI or bowler.) It is a street car. Original motor and cam, so I don't need anything to crazy. Just looking for any feedback you guys might have to start my search. Thanks in advance.

I haven't done the conversion myself but I can point out a few things. For one the early converter is not compatible with the new trans and second, you will benefit by going to a slip yoke drive shaft. If you want to keep your original shifter you may have to fab up some brackets, or modify B&M stuff to get the cable to work with the newer lever type selector. The early trans also has a rear pump, so that may throw off the rear mount location. I would just get a good working late model core and rebuild it, or not. Maybe just a band adjustment and fluid change will do.

meep-meep is correct,old converter wont work with later trans.(19spline vs. 24spline)plus you would need a new driveshaft (flange yoke vs. slip yoke). what kind of problem are you having with park lock? pan shouldnt leak unless you overtighten the bolts (learned this the hard way) or pan is bent somehow. i like the cork gasket ,its not so easy to stretch & give me a false sense of bolt tightness, but thats just me.

I have tried 3 pans and countless gaskets. I changed the park lock cable due to a split in the cable and it constantly comes out of adjustment. It will be ok for a few weeks then it will start to rachet out of no where. I think the case a small crack in it as well.

I am fine with spending all the money to switch converters and drive shafts. I was just wondering about things like the mount and speedo cable.

I did a 318/904 conversion into an 64 Abody. Here is what I did:
1) matching later 318/904 combo with Torque converter.
2) cut down and used a slip yoke driveshaft rather than the ball/trunnion shaft.
3) installed a floor shifter. Another option is, Imperial Services will rework your existing pushbutton mechanism and provide cables to work with the later, lever style trans. Both options are ~the same money.
4) I can't remember what I did on the speedo cable. I think it just mated up. Either way, Imperial Services makes speedo conversion cables that will match the new trans with the old style speedo cluster.

Older pushbutton / cable trannys are expensive to rebuild, and usually are leakers. some of the leaks come from the cable jackets themselves. Trans fluid walks up the cable, and "out" the outer jackets. Most of the older cable jackets crack due to heat and age. Imperial sells those too. But the shifter cable is ~ $200 !!!!

Ditto shop guy on the leaks, had the same problem with my 65. One common leak is also the n. saftey switch. I bet the leaking gets worse the longer it sits without running, the coverter drains back.

Auto Transport Service
Back