• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Converting to air conditioning

Evan Coleman

Local time
4:53 AM
Reaction score
I'm rebuilding a 1974 charger 400hp 4spd car. It does not have a/c. I have a mostly complete 74 charger 318/904 car with a/c. Also have access to a 1973 318/904 satellite which I believe has a/c. This is the car I would prefer to rob from. Did a little looking and the fire walls are different, blower motor mounts different, and heater hoses are in a different location, and likely more stuff I missed. I am assuming to do the swap to my 4spd car I would need a dash, heater a/c box and fire wall section, controls, ect, which I have. How much of the fire wall do i need you think? Can I just cut out the passenger side area roughly 17" wide, or is this an entire fire wall swap with other unforeseen obstacles?
20200125_172028-jpg.jpg
20200125_172324-jpg.jpg
The car has been blasted and is sitting on a rotisserie, so now is probably the time to do it. Though I dont absolutely need a/c, it would be nice. This a relatively rare car for 74, but I dont think its overly valuable, so some departure from how it was equipped from the factory shouldn't be a big deal ??? I looked up a/c systems from classic air and vintage air, nothing for 71+ b body Thanks.

I would think you could just graft in the heat/ac section? I can't see the right side of the fire wall but would assume its the same between ac/non ac car. Is the dash different also between ac/non ac? This may be a much bigger job than it seems. Let us know how you come out for sure.

This may be a silly question, but....
Have you checked with the aftermarket A/C suppliers? They may offer a kit to be used with the factory non A/C firewall that could save you some work.

Looks simple enough, pretty much what I had in mind, i was thinking of doing a little larger section, but that works, drill/cut out some new holes for a/c and heater lines, cover over old heater lines, and mount blower correctly. Slow going right now, but I'll try and post pics as I progress. Pretty sure the dash (metal frame is different.) My a/c car also has vents in the center area of dash on driver and pass side. I dont have it apart. Hoping none of the inner cowl area is different??? Thanks

This may be a silly question, but....
Have you checked with the aftermarket A/C suppliers? They may offer a kit to be used with the factory non A/C firewall that could save you some work.
None that I could find, only for older models

There were changes between 73 and 74 in a lot of respects so if you have another 74 there with AC, that's what I'd be looking at.

I'm rebuilding a 1974 charger 400hp 4spd car. It does not have a/c. I have a mostly complete 74 charger 318/904 car with a/c. Also have access to a 1973 318/904 satellite which I believe has a/c. This is the car I would prefer to rob from. Did a little looking and the fire walls are different, blower motor mounts different, and heater hoses are in a different location, and likely more stuff I missed. I am assuming to do the swap to my 4spd car I would need a dash, heater a/c box and fire wall section, controls, ect, which I have. How much of the fire wall do i need you think? Can I just cut out the passenger side area roughly 17" wide, or is this an entire fire wall swap with other unforeseen obstacles? View attachment 900979View attachment 900980The car has been blasted and is sitting on a rotisserie, so now is probably the time to do it. Though I dont absolutely need a/c, it would be nice. This a relatively rare car for 74, but I dont think its overly valuable, so some departure from how it was equipped from the factory shouldn't be a big deal ??? I looked up a/c systems from classic air and vintage air, nothing for 71+ b body Thanks.
I did it in my 73 from a 74 duty all I had to do was drii 1 hole in fire wall and heater box fit perfectly that was in 1975 call me if you need 7168304449

Auto Transport Service
Back