• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Converting to bucket seats 72 Satellite

akdoc

Local time
2:39 AM
Reaction score
I have a nice, used set of buckets for my 72 Satellite. I'm going to need some new brackets to bolt the seats down. Where is the cheap source for these? Thanks for your help!

Home Depot. :) I just got some bar stock from there and made my own brackets.

I suppose I do know someone that can weld some together. Maybe that will be the way to go. Are they the same size as the ones for the bench seats?

Ah... your seats don't have tracks. I thought you meant the brackets for reinforcing the sheet metal under the floor pan.

I'm guessing you're not worried about keeping things original, and that makes life easier. First, take a look at the floor pan where you'll be mounting the seats. Is the area level? On 74 cars, there is a raised area on the door side of the seat so one track is about an inch lower in height than the other. I think the height of the 71-73 tracks are the same left and right, but definitely double check that.

This set http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-Bucke...ash=item280ac7fb46:g:kSkAAOSwHnFVm2gL&vxp=mtr are the same size left and right and might work. You could use some similar type tracks from any vehicle with similar length tracks. You would just need to drill holes where the tracks bolt to the bottom of the seat frame.

If the mounting studs don't line up, you can drill new holes in the floor pan and reinforce the metal underneath, or you can cut the studs off and have the welded on in the right location.

I'm 6'6" and need extra legroom, so I mounted my seats 2" further back, which gave me my legroom but also made the seat lean back because the rear seat floor is lower than the front seat. I cut the rear studs off the tracks and welded some that were 2" longer on, then added spacers to elevate the rear of the seat about 1 3/4" so it sits at the right angle again.

My seats do have the tracks. There are two bolts coming down. I thought there was a bracket that they bolt into. Do they just bolt into the floor? I haven't removed the bench seat yet to see how it's attached.

If you are installing 71-73 B body seats you will need to drill the dimple locations in the original floor pans.

Thanks. That sounds like it won't be as hard as I was thinking. Now I need to see about covering them so that they match the rest of the car. Green seats in a blue car won't quite work.

Yep. You just drill the holes. Is your carpeting in or out? You'll need to pull the carpet to find the dimples. You can just mark the locations of where the track studs touch the carpet and drill there, but drilling through carpet is a PITA.

If you pull the carpet, place it back in and stick a phillips head screwdriver up through the holes from underneath and feel for the screwdriver under the carpet. That'll tell you where to cut a small hole for the stud to pass through.

As for seat covers, you can save a lot of money doing them yourself. They're pretty easy to get on and all you need is hog rings and a pair of hog ring pliers and some good wire cutting pliers to cut the old rings off.

Prefer to use electric seats from a late 70 B body. Mount the electric seat control below the front of the seat. Your seats will bolt directly to the rails, but the later model floor pans are a little different. Use spacer to level the seats. This mod with allow you to tilt the seat. Enjoy the ride, its worth the effort

The carpet is still in. Thanks for the information on drilling. I do have someone to do the covers for me. I ordered the seat material and I'm really excited about it! It should be just a few weeks until that project is getting started.

- - - Updated - - -

My seats do have the tracks, it just took me a while to get to see how they operated. I should just be able to drill into the stock locations where the bolts would have been had they been buckets. This project has been sitting in my wife's art studio (in our basement) but we have the new material and the project will finally be picked up in a matter of a few weeks! I can't wait.

Just in case you missed it. The floor is reinforced beneath the track bolts with a metal plate about 3"x4" with a 1/2 hole welded to the floor. Its important because if you have an auto accident, your seat will disconnect from the floor:sad5:

Auto Transport Service
Back