• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cool Workstation circa 1950s

themechanic

Oklahoma is OK
Local time
7:32 AM
Reaction score
I found a 1969 Oklahoma license plate on CL for the El Camino. I went to his house a few mile away and met a 79 year old man with a whole wall of Oklahoma plates he'd been collecting for years. He also had his Morris Minor delivery van in the garage. Pretty cool old guy. (Yes, we kept our distance from one another during the transaction.) He used to work as a mechanic at a local Chrysler dealership. He had is old work bench from the dealership in the garage. I should have taken a photo but didn't want to intrude.

Here's a photo of a car like his and one of a workstation like his:

1585935042601-png.png

1585935380252-png.png

Man, that is cool. I need a 65 Oklahoma plate for my truck. Does he ship? I'm in Grove.

I found a 1969 Oklahoma license plate on CL for the El Camino. I went to his house a few mile away and met a 79 year old man with a whole wall of Oklahoma plates he'd been collecting for years. He also had his Morris Minor delivery van in the garage. Pretty cool old guy. (Yes, we kept our distance from one another during the transaction.) He used to work as a mechanic at a local Chrysler dealership. He had is old work bench from the dealership in the garage. I should have taken a photo but didn't want to intrude.

Here's a photo of a car like his and one of a workstation like his:

View attachment 931234

View attachment 931231
when I worked in a dealership in the sixties and after I got home from Nam we had those they were lube stations and some where front end racks and later when they had no use we turned them into work stations ans benches cool thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

That workstation is super nice. What a trip down memory lane! The bench I have my dad made up from an early 1900's drafting table, all cast iron frame work, they were scrapping at his plant some 50 years ago. He was a guy who always had ideas and brought it home. Low and behold year or so later the bowling alley he played many league games at was closing down and he got a section of the bowling alley making it the bench top. It's a beast as I remember moving it to my house 20 + years ago, but just what ya want for a solid workstation.

Yep. He said his buyer was laid off work for a while and hadn't paid him, yet. I can ask him to let me know if it is for sale again, if you like.

If I wasn't 1,700 miles away, I would be very much interested, but that's a bit of a haul for me. I was just curious as to what something like that would go for.

Identical unit sold at Mercum last May.. but I can't seem to find a price... I'd love one toooo

If I wasn't 1,700 miles away, I would be very much interested, but that's a bit of a haul for me. I was just curious as to what something like that would go for.
He wants $3500 and it's still available.

FYI, the one pictured above is a restored unit from a photo on the internet and is not the one for sale. I just posted that because I didn't take a photo while I was there buying the plates.

P.S. I forgot to mention one of the plates on the wall was from the 1974 prison riot at McAlester State Penitentiary. Guess what color it was?

Mark, you should get @dadsbee to fly over and pick you up and come have a look at it. Wiley Post airport is nearby where the guy lives.

Auto Transport Service
Back