• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cooling Fan/Clutch For BB

dodge68charger

Local time
12:26 AM
Reaction score
I Got a 68 Charger With a BB. I Got Roughly 3 inches Between The Radiator and The Face Of The water Pump Pulley. Im Running a Stock Fan Shroud..

Does Any Company Make a Fan Clutch That Is Shorter To Fit The Space.. I Heard Ones Off A Jaguaur ( Year, Model?) would Work But Arent Heavy Duty Enough. Thanks

I Got a 68 Charger With a BB. I Got Roughly 3 inches Between The Radiator and The Face Of The water Pump Pulley. Im Running a Stock Fan Shroud..

Does Any Company Make a Fan Clutch That Is Shorter To Fit The Space.. I Heard Ones Off A Jaguaur ( Year, Model?) would Work But Arent Heavy Duty Enough. Thanks
i actually need to know the same thing about a '73 road runner clone..?

Do you have a stock radiator ? If so, the stock fan/clutch would work. If not, you need a Hayden clutch, I have one myself now, but don't recall the exact part number, perhaps someone will chime in.

2947 is the new short heavy duty fan clutch from Hayden.

Hayden 2947 is 2.7", too close for a 3" space!
Find a solid spacer and fan that gives you a 3/4"-1" clearance.

Thanks Guys Just Picked up a Hayden Clutch Today. Not Sure Whether To Go The Stock Fan or Flex fan For Better Cooling?

You'll see that only fans made to work with a clutch will fit the clutch. Flex fans / fixed fans have a solid face and a narrow bolt pattern to bolt directly to the water pump. Clutch fans have a hole in the face to pass the clutch snout and consequently a wider bolt pattern.

Regarding stock-type clutch fan selection, they come in 5 and 7 blade and come in several diameters. Measure your shroud to see what will fit and my recommendation is to go with a 7 blade for more air flow.

Thanks Guys Just Picked up a Hayden Clutch Today. Not Sure Whether To Go The Stock Fan or Flex fan For Better Cooling?

Flex Fan ? I've heard to stay away from them like the plague . . .

Stock Fan - they've been working for all these years , why change a good thing . . .

X 2 on the flex fan 25 hp loss with a popular composite one i happen to be using I was shocked by this fact

Gentlemen,
My cents worth....just use the Mopar fan clutch and the seven blade fan assembly. These parts are available from Tony's Parts....not cheap.....the clutch (#2806070 repro) unit will be around $200 plus $100 for the fan and NEVER NEVER try to fix a fan with a bent blade. Now is not the time to buy parts on price.....you get what you pay for....i will not use a Hayden clutch....true they are much cheaper but....they're not up to the task and never use a flex blade fan.....ever.
This is just my opinion.
Bob Renton

Auto Transport Service
Back