• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cooling Fan question

383MovingViolation

Local time
12:32 AM
Reaction score
Can someone tell me the correct factory cooling fan and it's part number for a 1968 Road Runner ? I'm looking for one for my Road Runner. Thanks

Need more info....engine, ac, radiator size?

your service manual will have the correct one listed for your car

The car has a 440 engine in it now with a flex fan and a fan shroud. It was a air car but it's not hooked up anymore. The radiator appears to be original for the car. I am not a big fan of the flex fan and I want to replace it. Thanks

if it was an AC car, but now it's been changed to a non-AC configuration, then you will need the non-AC pump also...

again, if you look in your service manual, it will tell you what fan blade and spacer to run on the car

Like the guys said up above, if you want factory original, check the manual. I just went to the garage and checked my fan - I'm running an 18" mopar clutch fan part number 4140063. Works great but it's a newer piece.

Sure it will work, that's an 18", 7 blade OEM clutch fan. You're original post asked for the "correct" fan, to confirm that, you'd have to check that service manual A383Wing posted up above. I think there are 2 fans that came on 68's, the 215 and the 216. Both I believe we're 7 blade fans, but one had a deeper pitch on the blade.

I guess I meant to ask what fan would fit the hole and cool the engine. It does not have to be factory correct. I have looked at a lot of fans and I just want one that will do the job so I can get rid of the flex fan which is an 18' fan. Thanks for all the good info.

- - - Updated - - -

I would like to down load this service manual but the settings on my computer will not let me do it and I don't know enough about computers to make it work. It's always something.......nothings easy. Thanks for the info anyway.

A Yeah no problem. One note, these are clutch fans which require a thermal clutch. Hayden makes a ton of different clutches for all applications. There are 3 duty classes, standard, heavy and light. A lot of guys like the heavy duty clutch but Hayden rates these based on fan pitch. Even the deeper mopar blades have a 2.5" pitch for our cars, so the standard is fine. There is one clutch that is the original dimension, but keep in mind that they make them for low clearance applications as well. Google mopar jaguar Hayden clutch and you will get plenty of reading as there was one clutch apparently made for jags that fits ours. There is some debate about it being strong enough for our metal fans (I read that jags use plastic), by again, Hayden rates theirs based on pitch and the jag fan being standard duty is fine for our fans. I chose a standard duty fan clutch with a dimension somewhere between the shorty jag clutch and the original oem mopar, which Hayden has listed for a Chevelle I think. It's worked fine for over a year now.

You mention the fan fitting the hole, so I assume you have a shroud. Since you have a fan already, I would measure the proper diameter fan for that shroud by just eyeballing how much more fan would fit - keeping in mind that you want 1/2" of 1" clearance all around.

Also, measure for depth, keeping in mind that the fan should be half in/ half out of the shroud for maximum cooling. you'll need the new fan to do this as the new fan's mounting flange is likely to be at a different depth from the face of the fan.

A lot of info you didn't specify ask for, hope it helps!

Happy Moparing.

My Road Runner was built with A/C ( long gone now) but the shroud is still there. I don't know where the original fan went, it's gone too when I got the car. Why people remove original parts and throw them away just boggles my mind. You sent me a lot of very useful info and I do thank you very much. I'm trying to get a fan then with the info that you gave me, I'll get a clutch for it. Thanks again

Auto Transport Service
Back