• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cooling Problem

Gldwing57

Local time
9:02 AM
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 68 Charger was originally a 383 car now 440 with slight build with 727. Not sure if engine has been bored but does have mild cam is really all I know for sure.
Has aftermarket radiator and keeps it relatively cool moving but heats at idle.
Id like to stay away from electric fans if possible..btw its a 22 inch system.
Saw a 22 inch 4 core for a hemi and automatic and was wondering if this would help and also put a shroud on.

Anyway and ideas would be appreciated.
There are so many radiators available but would rather have a direct bolt up and I realize there could be other areas to look as well.

Thanks
Patrick

How hot does it get at idle? Low speed cooling issues are usually airflow related. What fan is currently on it?

Do you know what temp thermostat is in it?

It shouldn't get hot at idle. Does it have a thermostat and fan shroud? Do you have pictures of radiator/shroud set up?

Adding a shroud helped mine run cooler.

Hell when I bought my 64 the fan was on backwards, wrong thermostat that was stuck, no shroud and the fan was 6” from the radiator!

Last edited:
What are your timing specs?

Hell when I bought my 64 the fan was on backwards, wrong thermostat that was stuck, no shroud and the fan was 6” from the radiator!
Sounds like you had some work to do..lol

How hot does it get at idle? Low speed cooling issues are usually airflow related. What fan is currently on it?
It will climb up towards 220 or so.. and its in 40s outside.. It may get hotter but when I saw that I started to move and it cooled down

It shouldn't get hot at idle. Does it have a thermostat and fan shroud? Do you have pictures of radiator/shroud set up?
Does have thermostat.. not sure what degree and no fan shroud,,,

I am using a 22” aluminum from ECP, stock shroud, 7 blade fan, oversized crank pulley, 180 degree thermostat, high flow aluminum water pump and I also use wetter water additive. This is on a 440, 30 over, stock 6 pack cam, mild head work, Dino at 395 at wheels. 425 at crank. No problems with heat. I live in Delaware

Retarded timing can also cause a motor to run hot. I agree to install a shroud first.

Auto Transport Service
Back