• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coronet 500, Superbee, R/T Differences

rushwater

Local time
4:52 AM
Reaction score
Hello I am new to the forum but not so new to B Bodies. My first car was a 70 Coronet R/T when I was in High school. I owned a 70 GTX also. I just purchased a 69 Coronet 500. I am wondering what the main cosmetic differences between the three cars is. I would like to make a clone Superbee from the 500. I know the taillight finish panel is different but is the taillight lenses different also? Is the tail section of the car different? I am not trying to pass it as an original car I want it purely for myself. I love the tail stripe. My 70 R/T was a delete. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

It would be much easier to make a R/T clone from a 500. The main factor would be the dash, all Super Bee's had rallye clusters. This is the same dash found in all Chargers, while it was std. in a Bee it was a option in a R/T. Std. dash in a R/T would be a 150mph sweep cluster, same look and fit as the 120 you have now. The 500 also already has the correct tail lights and tail panel. To make a correct looking R/T you need to loose the 500side moldings, grille and trunk emblems. You will need to install a std R/T 150 cluster, R/T dash woodgrain panel over the glove box, R/T emblems, R/T tail stripe, and either a R/T bugle or twin scoop(N96) hood. If you just bolt the scoops to the flat hood you will get the N96 appearance.
To make a Bee you will need to loose the 500 side trim, and emblems, replace the tail light and tail panel, change the entire dash to a rallye dash and add the bugle or scooped (N96) hood. Is your 500 a console car? If so the int pattern is the same for the 500, Bee, and R/T. R/T's and 500 were avalible with buckets and a buddy seat with column shift while Bees weren't as far as I know.

thank you for the help. I love the R/T also. It is a console automatic 500. The only thing is the hood. I have a slight problem. It has a six pack hood, sort of, and a slightly modified engine.

If I can make a suggestion, one of my pet peeves is lack of blackout treatment behind grills. The 69 Coronet grills are so cool and yours looks like it's in excellent condition, a little blackout would really pull it together. Looks like a badass engine you've got there! Any details?

It is a new purchase. I will update when i know more. It was built by muscle motors. do you have a picture of the blackout treatment?

I'll get some pictures of how the Los Angeles plant did mine. Of course then I'll have to figure out how to load them. Muscle Motors makes some kickass engines, especially their stroker motors.

150 mph speedometer is also needed as well.
R/T came with either a 426 hemi, or 440`s.

This is a 528, B1 engine, about 800 hp and a 450 shot of NoS. I am a little chief. I retired from the military and needed another project. I want to find out more about this car it came from Little Rock originally. I will probably send the engine back to Muscle Motors and have the 15:1 pistons removed and replace with some pump gas pistons.

Coronet 500 (7).jpg

IMO, the 69 Coronet grille is the meanest looking grille ever made. Add some wide rear tires, the N96 scoops, and a stripe and the car literally looks threatening. Not just sinister, THREATENING.

Have you considered a 69 Charger "500" stripe?

I would respect that more than a clone job, although I might consider removing the lower body molding and painting the area below to match the rest of the body.

Just leave as is. Don't need no sticking badges. All the talking is being done by what's under the hood now.

It would be much easier to make a R/T clone from a 500. The main factor would be the dash, all Super Bee's had rallye clusters. This is the same dash found in all Chargers, while it was std. in a Bee it was a option in a R/T. Std. dash in a R/T would be a 150mph sweep cluster, same look and fit as the 120 you have now. The 500 also already has the correct tail lights and tail panel. To make a correct looking R/T you need to loose the 500side moldings, grille and trunk emblems. You will need to install a std R/T 150 cluster, R/T dash woodgrain panel over the glove box, R/T emblems, R/T tail stripe, and either a R/T bugle or twin scoop(N96) hood. If you just bolt the scoops to the flat hood you will get the N96 appearance.
To make a Bee you will need to loose the 500 side trim, and emblems, replace the tail light and tail panel, change the entire dash to a rallye dash and add the bugle or scooped (N96) hood. Is your 500 a console car? If so the int pattern is the same for the 500, Bee, and R/T. R/T's and 500 were avalible with buckets and a buddy seat with column shift while Bees weren't as far as I know.

Including the dash frame to make the cluster work.

What's unique about the 69 tail light panels??? I'd like to turn my 440 in to a Bee clone and the panel looks the same.

Also, i'd like to fit the 69 grill as mine is a 68 and a half, it has a 69 arse and a 68 front and I much prefer the 69 grill. How much of a stuff around is that going to be? I have already noticed the headlights are in different positions and i'll need the filler panel under the front lip of the hood and also under the grill.

Is it a big job because the 68 grill is very plain.:(

What's unique about the 69 tail light panels??? I'd like to turn my 440 in to a Bee clone and the panel looks the same.

Also, i'd like to fit the 69 grill as mine is a 68 and a half, it has a 69 arse and a 68 front and I much prefer the 69 grill. How much of a stuff around is that going to be? I have already noticed the headlights are in different positions and i'll need the filler panel under the front lip of the hood and also under the grill.

Coronet 440's and Bee's do have the same tail panel and tail lights. To install a 69 grille in a 68 ft cap you need the upper and lower grille supports, the lower hood lip filler/molding and pretty sure you'll need 69 head light buckets. Oh and a 69 grille and bezels.

I've got the grill and bezels, the rest is going to take some scrounging.

Sounds like a challenge!:yes:

The 68 fenders are completely different in the front, I tried with the 68 fenders on my 69 project.

Auto Transport Service
Back