• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coronet SRT-8

tim rinkerman

Local time
10:40 PM
Reaction score
Hey all…here's a few shots of my winter project….a 67 Coronet updated with 2010 Charger SRT-8 suspension. Also converting it to manual with a 6 speed Tremec behind a strong 440... IMG_1281.jpgIMG_1225.jpgIMG_1273.jpgIMG_1284.jpgIMG_1269.jpgIMG_0072_2.jpgIMG_0066_2.jpg

IMG_1225.jpg IMG_1281.jpg IMG_1273.jpg IMG_1284.jpg IMG_0072_2.jpg IMG_1269.jpg IMG_0066_2.jpg IMG_1227.jpg IMG_1270.jpg

Thanks guys…this car was on my way home from work on a lawn for years..a 67 car with a 72 440. It ran, it was basically all there but needed everything. I have a Challenger, and it handles real good, so... I wanted to modernize the suspension anyway..but… There's a lot of companies that make aftermarket suspension setups, but I looked at the prices, and I'd have to re-engineer the car anyway, so why not try to do it with stock Mopar parts?

Hi Tim, looks like a pretty cool project. Nicely done! Oh, and welcome:wav:

Why not head over to the welcome section and let everyone else know that you're here? :)

Tim, Nice project, love your 67. The SRT-8 mods will be quite the upgrade. Post more pics of your progress!

Nice!

Awesome project, should be a real fun cruiser! You have any plans for narrowing the suspension in order to get some dish back in those wheels or are you running modern wheels?

Looking forward to your progress, Great car!!!! These have a nice look to them and hope you enjoy the build...

Great project. If you have them please post more pictures of the front and rear suspension. As well as any info on how you attached the suspension. I am looking to do the same to my wife's 70 Coronet.

Here's a few pic's of the rear suspension as it showed up, and a couple of my front end strategy. The front k-member bolted to the frame, and roughing in where the upper a-arm and shock mount are going to be. The next time I flip it over I will post pictures as to how the rear end goes in.
I gave some thought to narrowing the stuff, but, it works really well and I don't want to mess with geometry that has already been scienced out pretty well already. I am going back an forth between my Challenger and the Coronet with lasers, tape measures, and jacks to duplicate the placement of the suspension components in loaded and unloaded states to get the suspension travel and ride height the same on both cars. The wheel arches are going to have to get modified a bit…having the new style wheel under a wheel arch looks great, but doesn't give it enough room to get under the arch, and still clear the rotors and calipers to bolt them on.

Attachments

• IMG_1257.jpg
    IMG_1257.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 1,337
  • IMG_1285.jpg
    IMG_1285.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 1,290
  • IMG_1312.jpg
    IMG_1312.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 1,306
Man is that going to ride nice! I'll be watching.

Thanks for the support, guys! It's turning out to be kind of uncanny as to how the new stuff lines up with the old stuff. The front chassis rails are the same width as the new subframe. The mounting points for the rear suspension are only 1 1/2" outboard of the stock frame rails. I had to extend the up kick section of the frame in the back to make room for coil spring seats. The upper shock mounts are actually underneath the rear sail panel now. The track width is slightly wider than the 67 suspension, believe it or not. I think it's going to be pretty clear sailing after I get the front end sussed out. No torsion bars or steering box to get in the way…my only unknown factor at this point is the weight of the 440, compared to the 392, uh,.."hemi".

A couple new pictures of my front end assembly..all the angles and heights match my Challenger…hope it looks good!

Attachments

• IMG_0117_2.jpg
    IMG_0117_2.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 1,193
  • IMG_0118_2.jpg
    IMG_0118_2.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 1,186
Auto Transport Service
Back