• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coronet with Charger gas filler

OKDart

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:10 PM
Reaction score
Anybody have pictures of a '68 Coronet with a Charger gas filler?

Just my opinion ... Chrysler had a pretty good eye for styling back then. Those caps look great on Chargers but that's about it. I once contemplated putting one on my RR and I even found a decent one but when I placed it on the car and stood back and looked at it it just didn't belong. I've seen them on other models and they just look like a wart. I suppose the owners like them and that's fine but they don't do anything for me.

It's your car so do what you like. My ex-wife's 71 Mach I has a similar gas cap on the rear between the tail lights. I suppose you could fab a Charger filler cap on the back of a Coronet.

20170615_171516.jpg
It would be fairly easy to do. If the car needs a trunk floor pan,just put a Charger trunk floor pan in it. If not, just measure where to cut the hole in the trunk floor of a Charger. Then install a Charger gas tank and filler tube.There are many people putting new full rear quarter panels on second generation Chargers, so I wouldn't think that it would be too difficult to get the filler cap area out of a discarded Charger panel and graft it into the top of the Coronet rear quarter panel. I made my desk out of panels that I cut off of one of my Charger projects.

Thanks for that link, I was hoping for a shot that shows more of the car, and at different angles. Those pics were too close for me to tell if it fits with the car or not.

EDIT: I looked more into that site and found some better pictures, but still unsure.

As for my car, it's had collision repair back in the day and wouldn't be a good candidate for restoration. It's a base model 440 trim car. My plan is to fix the rust and put a cheap paint job on it and drive it. It needs a l/h quarter skin, outer wheel well, and a trunk floor.

I already have everything to make the swap except the trunk floor (old qtr, tank, filler tube). So I need to know which way I'm gonna go before I order the floor.

I prefer gassing up with the Charger filler vs behind the tag, But if it looks awkward, I won't do it.

2019-04-25-21-45-18-534_orig.jpg 57299350-2216729321714122-2029859264155090944-n_orig.jpg 58384043-2226299310757123-5361416806697271296-n_orig.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for that link, I was hoping for a shot that shows more of the car, and at different angles. Those pics were too close for me to tell if it fits with the car or not.

As for my car, it's had collision repair back in the day and wouldn't be a good candidate for restoration. It's a base model 440 trim car. My plan is to fix the rust and put a cheap paint job on it and drive it. It needs a l/h quarter skin, outer wheel well, and a trunk floor.

I already have everything to make the swap except the trunk floor (old qtr, tank, filler tube). So I need to know which way I'm gonna go before I order the floor.

I prefer gassing up with the Charger filler vs behind the tag, But if it looks awkward, I won't do it.
I agree on the pics not being the greatest. I came across another good representation of it being done elsewhere. But, I couldn’t find it. I’m not into modifying the originality of these cars, much. Having said that, it looked good from that other instance. If someone is going to do that modification. I think a 68/69 Coronet is a perfect choice with the 2 quarter panel indentations. That the Charger has on the doors. Wouldn’t look right on any other models. In my opinion.
I’ve had a few people ask, if my car was a Charger, lol ! I think that comes from those indentations when people see them. Maybe, really screw with people with the gas filler, lol

On the gas filler location being changed. With it being back by the bumper and the very long length of these cars combined. You pretty much have to take up 2 pump spots at a station to fill up.
People often whine about it. Because they don’t have common sense. Even as you stand behind the bumper with a filler hose in your hand. They don’t get it. About a month ago, I thought a female was going to burst into tears. She was that upset and confused, lol !
A few people are fine by it and see the circumstances. They look at it, as an honest opportunity to admire the car. But, pisses others off. Oh, well. You can’t pull completely beyond an end pump at most stations. Because you completely block an entrance or exit to the station. And take a large risk of someone backing into the car. Because, of where it would sit. Sticking out far beyond an end pump. The circumstances, often confuses people. You’ll start seeing it in people’s eyes. Lol !
If the car wasn’t so admireable. I’m sure, I would have been in fight about it a long time ago. It usually, deflects their anger. Ha ha !

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back