• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Correct 72 RR GTX dash emblem

QuebecRollin

Local time
6:59 PM
Reaction score
I’m replacing the passenger side wood grain dash insert on my 72’ Roadrunner GTX which has A/C.

The car had a panel that was painted silver with a Plymouth and GTX emblem stuck on it which I know is not correct.

Can someone tell me what is correct for an RR with GTX package?
I searched the web for too long and I can’t find a good picture of a GTX option dash.
My best guess is that it is the roadrunner with the bird head (same as a standard RR) but that’s just a guess.

My 72 RR/GTX with NO A/C has the Road Runner emblem with the bird head, but on an A/C car there is a vent right where it attaches to the insert. I'm not sure that the A/C insert had room for anything else on it. Pretty crowded already!

I found this last night

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mo.../1972-plymouth-roadrunner-gtx-rallye-red/amp/

That car was restored to OEM spec so I’ll assume that it had the correct dash emblem. It also has A/C so that’s my match.
It looks like the RR w/bird head was used across the line in 72’
They must have ditched the GTX dash emblem after 71’ when they merged the demoted it to an options package.

So that means there is no GTX badging on the interior. I’m going to keep everything correct and order GTX floor mats to get something on the interior that isn’t bolted down.

3905E7E5-9905-4875-AD64-97F355C57076.jpeg

48810896-67F1-47C2-9A45-E8658AA5CEF6.jpeg

7F7E16C5-5654-4A54-9E66-BEF89B9CBB80.png

260709E5-F90E-4881-8B34-D62935D3B3B0.png

Just noticed the pics in post 4 show an AC insert but a seem to show non-AC dash.

Wonder what the deal is with that since it looks like they spent time and money on that interior.

So we're saying 72 RR/GTX cars got RR dash emblems and not GTX?

Interesting.

I wonder if that holds true for 73/74 as well.

Yeah, that’s interesting about the A/C and strato controls.

I ordered a new dash emblem from vans auto last night.
I’m looking forward to getting the panel back together.
Thanks for all the feedback.

YY1 I believe that it correct. The GTX emblem on the dash went away in 72’

If you didn’t have a Tuff steering wheel you also got the beep beep horn button.

I guess if you were in to the RR theme it was a win-win for the guys that got the 72 GTX

I have a 72 Runner Gtx that has the gtx emblem on the dash. I can not say for 100% that it came from factory with it, but I have photo evidence from the original owner that in the 70s it had the emblem. I was fortunate enough to get a roll of micro film that I developed from the original owner. My car was a 4 speed car without many options and defiantly no a/c but I believe the emblem is original. If only these cars could talk the stories they would tell.

I have a 72 Runner Gtx that has the gtx emblem on the dash. I can not say for 100% that it came from factory with it, but I have photo evidence from the original owner that in the 70s it had the emblem. I was fortunate enough to get a roll of micro film that I developed from the original owner. My car was a 4 speed car without many options and defiantly no a/c but I believe the emblem is original. If only these cars could talk the stories they would tell.
Can you share that picture?

Auto Transport Service
Back