Correct black for tail panel of 69 Charger

Exterior Body, Paint, Trim, Chrome

1. Bad B-rad

Bad B-rad Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    1:26 PM
    In the Factory service manual, and some other books, I have found the correct paint coats for the body color,(in my car F5 2024Ditzler/4987LDupont) and the dash color, the top of the door panels and the window trim, even the engine paint and the air cleaner paint codes, and even the correct amount of gloss or flattening /suede needed if any)
    But I can not find the codes for the black rear tail light panel.
    Anyone have the correct PPG, DuPont or ditzler #'s?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Car #4

Car #4 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Following. Is the 68 tail panel the same paint?

3. Bad B-rad

Local Time:
    I am not 100% sure on if the 1968 is the same as the 1969 black out on tail panel, I would guess it is the same, but I do not know 100% for sure.
    I have noticed some guys do a gloss black, some semi gloss, some flat.
    My car is so faded on the tail panel, I can not tell, it looks to be a semi or LOW gloss.
    Its funny with all the books and magazines I have, I can come up with factory paint codes for almost everything, the dash and steering column, the gauge cluster face, the satin BAYOU green for the top of the dash, LOL, and so on. But I do not have, or at least can not find the factory tail panel black out paint!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Kilrbee

Kilrbee Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      12:26 PM
      If you read the area in red it says "Black organasol" except for St Louis plant which is Black low gloss enamel.

8261670-chargerblackouttailpanel (1).JPG

• Bad B-rad

Local Time:
      THANKS!
      Isnt the ORGANASOL a textured paint?

Mine panel is Smooth, I am also fairly sure mine is from ST Louis so that would jive.
      Where you got that info, is there any code to mix up what they are calling Black low gloss enamel??
      I know a lot of times, in the info I have it will have a list of parts broken down into sections for each color, and then some where else in the info it will list the exact paint code, with the amount of low gloss, or flatting agent or satin additive.
      I am not a paint guy so I am just trying to make it as fool proof as I can when I buy the paint, THANKS AGAIN!!

• Kilrbee

Local Time:
      I apologize but I do not have the paint spec available at this time. I have used in the past PPG "HOT ROD BLACK" paint and that is a close match to the original paint.

20200426_142724.jpg 20201012_163633.jpg

• Moms68

Moms68 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      Same as the inserts of the hood.

• Bad B-rad

Local Time:
      Thanks for the PPG hot rod black, that a GREAT start in the correct direction!!!
      From your photos, it looks nice!!!!

All 69 Chargers I have seen in person, the tail light panel has always been non textured paint, in body color, or black, gloss/semi/flat.
      I wonder if that is people just taking liberty's with the panel, or if most cars are from St. Louis, Or if I have just not noticed any charger tail panels with the textured organisol paint?

I did find this on organisol:
      https://moparconnectionmagazine.com/organosol-separating-truth-from-fiction/

• Kilrbee

Local Time:
      When the proper Organasol is applied it actually has little texture (but yes some) and over time and multiple washings it may have reduced the texture even more....

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Bad B-rad

Local Time:
        On my 1973 Challenger the tail panel had a fair amount of texture to it.
        But I just checked, and my car WAS built in Hamtramck, Michigan (7th Vin is "B")
        And my panel has little to no texture LEFT in it.
        (it also has little to no COLOR left on it!! LOL:rofl:

I will remove the tail lights to try and get a look at some virgin or at least protected paint.

I am used to thinking of organisol as having a lot of texture, but I guess I would be wrong, as in this case not so much.!!!
        Thanks again for the info!!!

• Fm3 Dart

Fm3 Dart Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        11:26 AM
        I looked closely at the unfaded areas of the original paint tail panel on a 69 Charger R/T I restored, and it was not textured.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
        By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.