• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Correct color for front end parts

Deanfitz27

Local time
5:35 PM
Reaction score
I've blasted, primed and painted all my front end parts. I'm unsure of the correct color of the upper control arms, sway bar and strut rods. I though black was correct, so I painted them , now I'm unsure. The more I look it seems dodge are black and Plymouth are a cast color. Not sure if that is correct or not. The car in question is a 69 roadrunner. Thanks for any help

20181015_200220.jpg 20181015_200228.jpg

Upper control arms were natural stteel and had a light coat of cosmoline.

Strut rods were heat treated steel and left natural.....

Sway bars were semi gloss black....

Upper control arms were natural stteel and had a light coat of cosmoline.

Strut rods were heat treated steel and left natural.....

Sway bars were semi gloss black....
Thanks so much. I looked at a lot of quality restoration pics and noticed that upper control arms were black on dodge and natural on Plymouth, I wonder is this only a coincidence?

Unless you want to go concourse I say whatever looks good to you.
They make some pretty cool powder coat colors these days.

Thanks so much. I looked at a lot of quality restoration pics and noticed that upper control arms were black on dodge and natural on Plymouth, I wonder is this only a coincidence?
You looked at A LOT of incorrect restored parts.......

It is a known fact that in 68-70 those are the colors and finishes as I noted above.....You have to keep in mind you are not looking at true OE restored cars......The majority on the web are owners renditions of what they believed was correct but in reality was not. There is nothing wrong with painting them any color in the spectrum but when you want to go correct you have to choose your sources wisely......

As mentioned above if your not going for an all out OE example and getting it judged......Personally, I would Powdercoat everything in the closest to correct finish colors.....

^^This, what MN74 said. The thing is, if you're going for a 100 point, fully correct car-- it becomes a #2 car if not meticulously maintained, kept in climate controlled environment, etc.. Probably not want you were going for...

Black upper control arms were replacement parts. Back in the day allot of arms were destroyed by shops that thought the ball joints were pressed in.

Black upper control arms were replacement parts. Back in the day allot of arms were destroyed by shops that thought the ball joints were pressed in.
The majority of NOS/replacements were black and some were in red primer....

s-l500.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

One more thing to take into consideration is that assembly line parts seldom had the part number stenciled / painted onto the part. So that is part of the the education on restoring the various parts of the car.

As Justin and others have pointed out, determine the direction of your restoration. With the quality of the paints available today, you can mimic the original finishes and impress everyone except for that very small group who are looking to keep the cars assembly line correct down to the rust streaks and weld flashing.

What about lower arms?

Found this in a different post.

Mopar Chassis Color Chart

Legend:
BC: Body Color
GB: Gloss Black
SB: Semi-gloss Black
CI: Cast Iron Gray
N: Natural Steel or Aluminum
MP: Manganese Phosphate
CC: Color Code

(*): Some Mopar core supports are body color with semi-gloss black sprayed
on the grill side. There are some variables from what is shown above.

Assembly:
Front Unibody subframe assembly BC
Inner Fenders BC
Firewall BC
Core Support BC*

Transmission Components:
Transmission N/CC
Driveshaft N/CC
Transmission and driveshaft Yoke N/CC
Differential Housing SB
Clutch Linkage N

Brake Components:
Brake Drums SB/N
Disk Brake Shields N
Calipers CI
Master Cylinder GB or CI

Axle/Suspension Components:
Axles N/CC
Third Member SB
Upper Control Arm GB
Lower control Arm GB
Inner and Outer Tie Rods N/CC
Tie Rod Adjustment Sleeve SB
Center Link MP/CC
Idler Arm/Bracket CI/CC
Suspension Components(con’t) Strut Rods CI/CC
Torsion Bars GB/CI/CC
Shocks SB/CC
Rear End U-Bolts N/CC
Rear Leaf Springs N/SB/CC
Backing Plates GB
Spindles CI/CC
Anti-Sway Bars N/CC

Steering Components:
Pitman Arm CI/CC
Steering Box N/CC

Exhaust Systems:
Muffler Hangers and Clamps N
Exhaust System and Mufflers N

Gas Tank Components:
Gas Tank N
Gas Tank Straps N/GB
Gas and Brake Lines N

Again, choose your information wisely....several things in the above list are incorrect....

You looked at A LOT of incorrect restored parts.......

It is a known fact that in 68-70 those are the colors and finishes as I noted above.....You have to keep in mind you are not looking at true OE restored cars......The majority on the web are owners renditions of what they believed was correct but in reality was not. There is nothing wrong with painting them any color in the spectrum but when you want to go correct you have to choose your sources wisely......

As mentioned above if your not going for an all out OE example and getting it judged......Personally, I would Powdercoat everything in the closest to correct finish colors.....
Thanks Justin, I just want the car to look correct, I'm not worried about having the exact same sheen and waht not, but just the correct colors etc. Thanks so much

Auto Transport Service
Back