• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

correct date code engine

steve817

Local time
8:37 AM
Reaction score
Hello, If a 69 charger was completed on the assembly line April 27 of 1969, how many months prior to that should the date code on the engine be. My research shows 3 to 5 months. The picture shows the engine as 11-2-68. Feedback would be greatly appreciated. 20140505_201110.jpg

Hello, If a 69 charger was completed on the assembly line April 27 of 1969, how many months prior to that should the date code on the engine be. My research shows 3 to 5 months. The picture shows the engine as 11-2-68. Feedback would be greatly appreciated. View attachment 185967

steve

There is a lot of good info in this site.

Check on the sidebar(What date code should be on my part?)
Engine and Transmission VIN reference

Engine casting vs. build dates:

The standard is typically around 30-90 days.

http://www.mmcdetroit.com/

Check the machine pad for the installation information.

Jeff

Don't think I've ever owned a car that had an engine with a casting date that was closer than 6 months before the vehicle was built....

Hello, If a 69 charger was completed on the assembly line April 27 of 1969, how many months prior to that should the date code on the engine be. View attachment 185967

Pretty simple....

1) Have you confirmed the VIN on the block goes with your car?
2) If then VIN on the block matches your car then the answer to the question of "How many months before scheduled assembly date could the block have been cast?" is "six".
3) Check the date on the front pad. That will answer the question "How soon before my scheduled assembly date would the engine have been assembled?"

There are two dates you are looking for...the block casting date and the engine assembly date. The block could have been cast well before the engine was assembled. If the engine is not from your car then the questions are moot.

Auto Transport Service
Back