• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Correct drive shaft length

Paul_G

Local time
2:39 AM
Reaction score
Any one know what the driveshaft length should be for 73 Charger 400 speed?

I went back to '70 as the length is deleted in the manual after that.
4 spd, 8 3/4" Axle 52.07"
4 spd, 9 3/4" Axle 50.96"

The wheelbase is 115” so the 1970 driveshaft specs are wrong for this 1973 Charger.

The service manual doesn't show length like older SM's.

I have 2, 73 400 4 speed chargers right now. One has a tapered or step down drive shaft that is 50 5/8" center to center of the ujoint caps. The other is a straight tube that is 49 3/4" c to c of the ujoint caps. Which one is right? Or neither?

The wheelbase is 115” so the 1970 driveshaft specs are wrong for this 1973 Charger.
That is why I said it was the '70 spec as I figured it wasn't totally correct. '71 up has deleted the info of course...

That is why I said it was the '70 spec as I figured it wasn't totally correct. '71 up has deleted the info of course...
Not totally correct is then totally wrong. Correct?

I have a chart that states it is 50.80” long with an 8.75 axle.

50.8" is about what the original appearing (step down) shaft measures. And that is the one thats broken. Having a new 3" shaft made to the same length.

I'd jack the car up, put the weight on the axle. measure the length from center of trans yoke pulled out about 1 1/4" to the center of the rear yoke. See how that compares to the incorrect FSM measurements. 49 3/4" seems way too short.
Good luck

Auto Transport Service
Back