• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

correct finish/color for original sway bar and brackets

copper67sat

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:34 PM
Reaction score
Anyone know what the original finish or paint color was on the front sway bar and brackets? I don't have any specific pictures of mine before it was cleaned and painted black, but can see it in some of the teardown photos and it looks black-ish. I also picked up another original sway bar with brackets recently and it appears to be a natural finish covered by years of dirt and light surface rust/pitting. I am getting ready to go through the front end on my Satellite again and would like to return it to original appearance if possible. Thanks...

1990-043.jpeg

I have used chassis black on mine during restoration. I have a couple of used originals that look decent. They appear to have been dipped and look like it would been something like a semi gloss or chassis black. They have a little more shine than a satin black to me.

Funny that this thread just appeared today, I have the front bar off my 66 Satellite Hemi car and have the same questions. I haven't cleaned anything up yet, but the bar has black paint on it. I'd also like to know the correct finish for the brackets, bolts, etc.-everything on the entire assembly.

Funny that this thread just appeared today, I have the front bar off my 66 Satellite Hemi car and have the same questions. I haven't cleaned anything up yet, but the bar has black paint on it. I'd also like to know the correct finish for the brackets, bolts, etc.-everything on the entire assembly.
Bolts black oxide finish and brackets chassis black I assume, because they don't seem to hold paint very well. You have to remember that these parts were picked out of bins on the assembly line and put on. Where they were purchased was more than likely not the same place.

I agree on dipped.

I've seen more than a few with runs.

Could be not too careful heavy spray though, I suppose.

I agree on dipped.

I've seen more than a few with runs.

Could be not too careful heavy spray though, I suppose.
That is what I vaguely remembered on mine, but it was restored 30 yrs ago. Thanks

Bolts black oxide finish and brackets chassis black I assume, because they don't seem to hold paint very well. You have to remember that these parts were picked out of bins on the assembly line and put on. Where they were purchased was more than likely not the same place.
I started cleaning things up, the bar has black paint on it and it's pretty glossy, but I haven't seen any runs. Bolts appear to be black oxide. Brackets look like natural steel. They have some black paint on them but aren't completely painted, it looks like rattle can overspray. I think someone touched up the front of the K frame and core support with black spray paint, it chips off with my fingernail.

My understanding is that they were made at a foundry where other parts like railroad parts were made, and it was whatever black was in the dipping tank. So make it easy on your detailing.

Auto Transport Service
Back