• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Correct Oil Dipstick for 318??

videoword

Local time
9:53 AM
Reaction score
It's funny how a totally easy part to replace can give a fellow such a headache.

I keep ordering oil dipsticks and they simply do not fit my 1968 Satellite 318.

Anyone have potential insights into this problem?

What is your problem, and where are you getting them from. A pic would help out too...

Watch the length into the pan as well. Fitment is one thing depth is another.

I had the same problem finding one after mine got broken off at the block... Every source, and there weren't many, had the same dipstick. Chrome , which I didn't want, and all were straight which needed to be bent to clear brackets. Now it is hard to get the stick to go down the tube...........................MO

I may have an original if you still need one.

I had the same problem finding one after mine got broken off at the block... Every source, and there weren't many, had the same dipstick. Chrome , which I didn't want, and all were straight which needed to be bent to clear brackets. Now it is hard to get the stick to go down the tube...........................MO
Yeah who the hell wants a chrome Dip stick? I suppose you can sand blast the chrome off of a good fitting ds.

It's funny how a totally easy part to replace can give a fellow such a headache.

I keep ordering oil dipsticks and they simply do not fit my 1968 Satellite 318.

Anyone have potential insights into this problem?
With aftermarkets. You have to use the original tube. I have them on 2 engines and the chrome ones work fine.

With aftermarkets. You have to use the original tube. I have them on 2 engines and the chrome ones work fine.
I'm going to guess, the tubes is why many need replaced. Not hard at all to break them off. And then when I formed my new tube to clear brackets, the new cheapo chrome stick is hard to get to go through the bend get seated fully on . Makes me now think , if my old dipstick is the same length as the new, maybe I will use it.............MO

All small block dipstick tubes are straight. They get tapped in, and tweaked to clear the alternator bracket. Here is a "raw" (plain steel) dipstick and tube from Mancini Racing: https://www.manciniracing.com/maaenrawditu.html

This makes way more sense. The issue is the tube, not the stick - I should have been more clear. All the ones I've tried to buy are straight and won't fit into the hole since they need to be angled.

But, what you are saying is that I need to install the stick first, then bend it around whatever is in the way??

Yes, the tube is carefully tapped in, then slightly tweaked to clear. It is only a small nudge. Your not trying to bend it around a corner... The dipstick that will come with the tube should register correctly, but always check. Do an oil change, and put in 6 quarts, and run the engine for 30 seconds, then shut it off. Let it sit for a few minutes, then check the level, and adjust the mark if necessary.

Auto Transport Service
Back