• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Correct Oil Filter For 68 Charger

The Rebel

Local time
2:08 AM
Reaction score
Looking to find out what is the correct style filter that was used in 68. I've heard all 3 of these are correct but would like to get opinions.

1. From Justin's thread.
2. Heard these are correct for 68
3. Heard these are correct for 69+

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

1. I believe is 66-72 factory installed
2. Is 1971
3. I think 1973

They also had Mopar High Performance filters, Hustle Stuff, direct connection were other variations.

Thanks! Looking to see what others have to say.

That's awesome thank you. Recently bought the field guide. Couldn't believe how bad some of the misspellings and Grammer was. I'm no writer but man someone needs to spell check and proof read it

The greenish gold textured version is up to approx 1971

the red white and blue one is 1972 and later

The greenish gold textured version is up to approx 1971

the red white and blue one is 1972 and later
Thanks.

That being said does anyone know if someone makes clear stickers. I'm looking to buy a wix filter, rattle can it and then affix it. Some of these repops are so expensive.

Thanks.

That being said does anyone know if someone makes clear stickers. I'm looking to buy a wix filter, rattle can it and then affix it. Some of these repops are so expensive.
That would be a great idea. Ma Mopar probably wouldn't allow it though.

Unless you're doing/have a concours resto, you have to understand that shortly thereafter, these cars no longer had the factory filter. Heck, we even put our el cheapo garage filters in when we did changes on customers cars. The dealers would put whatever was in their parts department, months/years later. Not a bad idea of yours, though.

That top filter is used on Trailer Queens I think. Seen them on ebay years ago $300++!

There is ,,,or at least was someone making a repop of the green filter.

Ive seen originals as high as $800. Sad part is , about 20 years I was offered a case of 12 of them for $1000 and almost bought them

I had stickers made to replicate the lower one, for about $5 ea

Unless you're doing/have a concours resto, you have to understand that shortly thereafter, these cars no longer had the factory filter. Heck, The dealers would put whatever was in their parts department, months/years later.
This is why I don't worry about it and just use a Motorcraft FL-1A and motor on!!

I don't know about you but I wouldn't want to screw a 50 year old filter on my engine and think it was good. That many years on the shelf and they can get pretty nasty inside. Paper elements and half century old glue can't be all that good.

I don't know about you but I wouldn't want to screw a 50 year old filter on my engine and think it was good. That many years on the shelf and they can get pretty nasty inside. Paper elements and half century old glue can't be all that good.
Most people wouldn't even think of that, I know I'm one!

Most people wouldn't even think of that, I know I'm one!
I didn't think of it myself until I pulled a 2 year old shop vac filter out of a box. It wasn't pretty. The humidity had gotten to it.

Thanks guys. I can't take credit for the rattle can & sticker idea as a buddy of mine does that, which gave me the idea on looking for ideas. Also as I'm a printer that helps as well and we can produce labels. Might make a batch for myself.

Thanks guys. I can't take credit for the rattle can & sticker idea as a buddy of mine does that, which gave me the idea on looking for ideas. Also as I'm a printer that helps as well and we can produce labels. Might make a batch for myself.
I'd like a Hustle Stuff version

Auto Transport Service
Back