• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Correct oil pump pickup tube

MoparMur

Local time
12:39 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys need some help. My son's '67 Belvedere has a '70 440 installed. We have it out to repair an oil pressure problem, and discovered the oil pickup tube cracked at the threads at the block. This engine was built up years ago by someone, and they installed a 1/2" NPT pick-up tube. I once had a couple '70 U-code Challengers, and they of course had heavy rods etc. and the longer sump oil pan. His oil pan looks all the world to me to be the same dimensions as mine were, and I'm thinking the stock-style Hemi pickup tube would work, correct? I'm going on memory here that the Hemis used the 1/2" tube as far as I recall. Any ideas what pickup tube we need, part number, supplier, etc.? BTW no numbers stamped on his oil pan. Thanks in advance for any help.

440 source has some good oil pan info on their web sight that may help you match up pan & tube.
Just shooting from the hip we dont know what you have. 4qt., 5qt , 6qt, ect.
Summit would be another good place to search. They have several RB pickup tubes listed.
You can measure your pan depth and snap a pic of the baffle. Post it on here , chances are someone will know what you need.
Also ,...... good catch on finding the cracked tube.

Because it is not original (pan or pickup), it will be complicated. Go here: Tech Info and Tips (engine-swaps.com) and select "Oil Pan Schematics & ID Guide". Then use the dimensions of oil pans to determine what yours is. From there, knowing the oil pan depth and potential capacity, they do make a 1/2" pickup for the RB with a 402 pan, and that might work for you. A straight up "Hemi" 1/2" pickup will be too long (~1") for the 420 pan and will require shortening. The last issue is whether or not the block mounting hole was drilled/tapped straight and deep enough.

Thanks guys, fantastic help as always, and I will check out those sources. Yes it's a good things he's always watching his gauges. When we got it out and the pan off it was evident right away. Stripped it right down, and there's zero damage anywhere. Pays to have working gauges, and someone watching them!

Auto Transport Service
Back