• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Correct red for RT emblems please

vintage chromoly

Local time
9:58 PM
Reaction score
hello all.
I’m working on a 68 coronet RT tail panel. It was in super shape except the paint was chalky and worn.
I’m looking for the correct red color and sheen that was painted in the “R” and “T” in the emblem.

I’m considering making a custom blend with some thinned Testors model paint and shooting it with my air brush.
I just need to know if it was gloss or satin and if anyone knows a good match in a product line.

Thanks,
Rob

I buy my repro from my local dealer and Justin is right again ( what a surprise):lol: looks semi gloss to me.
IMG-20150822-WA0026jpg.0.jpg

Last edited:
Just a suggestion, your airbrush is fine but masking can be time consuming... Years ago I had a chance to tour the Trim Parts facility in Lebanon Ohio... They had thousands of emblems in the process of being painted... The workers were using syringes filled with paint... It works incredibly well....

Just a suggestion, your airbrush is fine but masking can be time consuming... Years ago I had a chance to tour the Trim Parts facility in Lebanon Ohio... They had thousands of emblems in the process of being painted... The workers were using syringes filled with paint... It works incredibly well....
Also with the syringe the paint looks thicker and better.

A turkey blaster is a bit large, not going to work well. Small dropper will do, that’s how I did mine. One shot sign paint.
F3F1E566-253D-4DAC-9BC8-53793B1A7E81.jpeg
AED81668-12A8-406B-94E7-70A9A84A330B.jpeg

Totally Auto tail panel red is what I use.

FWIW I know in 70 the R/T badge "Red" had allot of "Orange" hue whether thats true on a 68 I can't say.... I can say I'm not a fan of red's having allot of orange in them...

My 68 Coronet R/T is PP1 which is a pretty deep blood red... So I wanted a color for my R/T badges that clearly wasn't orange but didn't get lost in all the brite blood red.... I'd been looking at paints to repaint my emblems with when my buddy got a Ferrari in his shop for touch up work... Ferrari has quite a few reds from a hint of orange to nearly maroon... This particular one was a very vivid red, no orange but bright enough to pop when surrounded by PP1.... The color is called rosso corsa.. When my buddy finished the touch up he had about 1/2 pint of color left over....

My emblems should look pretty good.... Not OE but good...

So I resurrected this old thread to ask a question about painting these types of chrome emblems. What is the proper prep work to the areas that you want to paint so that the paint adheres properly? Since the entire emblem is chrome plated and then the painted parts are done, the paint is not going to adhere very well, if at all, to the chrome plating. I realize you could scuff the chrome but on a small emblem like this where you are only trying to paint the recessed areas how would you scuff it without accidentally scuffing the parts that are supposed to be chrome? @1 Wild R/T using a syringe is a great idea for putting the paint on.

While I agree scuffing or in some way etching the chrome would be a good idea, they were originally just painted & thats how I've gone back... They hold up pretty well.. Especially side emblems & tail panel emblems...

Etching primer would be good but the potential for it to show around the edges has caused me to just go with paint... If it fails pulling the emblems off & re-painting is a fairly small project...

I was told by a fellow, that the red in the sail panel emblems on 66-67 Chargers , was A100 red. Didn’t think to ask if that was the code, or was it the same colour as the A100 series vehicles.

Etching primer would be good but the potential for it to show around the edges has caused me to just go with paint... If it fails pulling the emblems off & re-painting is a fairly small project...
Good thought on the etching primer. I was going to use an etching primer and didn't even think of that.

I just stripped and repainted my new grill emblems for my 68 Charger. They looked hand painted and uneven and the black on the emblems was shiny instead of satin. I soaked the emblems in thinner, masked off the RT and then sprayed both emblems with semi gloss black. I wiped the faces of the emblems with thinner to expose the chrome Then I ran up to Auto Zone and bought a jar of auto touch up paint, the kind with the brush and ball point tip. I chose a newer Corvette red and used the brush. I just blobbed the paint in to each letter and let it flow around the letters. I think they turned out well

2020-07-04_05-34-02.jpg
2020-07-04_05-34-09.jpg
2020-07-04_05-34-20.jpg
2020-07-04_05-34-33.jpg
2020-07-04_05-34-48.jpg
2020-07-04_05-35-04.jpg

Those turned out real nice.

Auto Transport Service
Back