• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

correct speedo cable?

daytona kid

Local time
7:32 AM
Reaction score
I got this cheap speedo cable and wondering if it is the one I need for my 68 charger ? /with 727auto and stock rally dash speedometer.. Is that white plastic connector correct?

20210119_110703[1].jpg

Looks correct to me, white end clips into the back of the speedo at the dash. I do believe they come in different lengths based upon bodies/years. Someone smarter will know better than I.

The white end is correct but the other end should be a hex not a knurled nut...If you are going for points, otherwise it will work just fine

Well I think the cable was correct but something is wrong somewhere, because it broke before I ever saw the needle move on the test ride. It broke down at the trans. I'm wondering if it was just too cheap, or did I mishandle/damage it while installing and routing it? Or is my speedo gauge locked up? I'll try to see if that's so.. I bought the dash cluster used trusting it was all good but now I wonder.. May order a little better quality cable this time. That broken one cost $17..

20210122_163619.jpg

Your speedometer head could be frozen up. Take a good cable assembly and hook it to the back of the speedometer. Hook the other end to a variable speed drill and run the drill in reverse I believe. Run it slow to begin with and after verifying its running in the right direction take it up to about 80. If it’s acting erratically it’s the speedometer head. I believe on mine I twisted the cable by hand and couldn’t get it to turn.

Auto Transport Service
Back