• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cost of Heater A/C Box rebuild

dspur

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:25 AM
Reaction score
This if for my 69 B. Factory A/C. I'll preface by saying I know nothing about A/C.
The compressor is there and looks to be in good shape. The condenser (in front of radiator) is missing but hoses are there. Everything firewall forward at least looks good.
Anyway, I have the dash out and the box looks pretty rough (as in all original, a bit corroded, and hasn't worked in a long time). It appears to be mostly there, except for vent hoses. I am sure it needs a complete rebuild as does the control buttons on the dash (now removed).

I have a lot to do before tackling this but I'd like to get a plan.
So, anyone know where I could send this and get it rebuilt / refurbished or at least buy a kit and do it myself (with excellent instructions)? Also any idea of cost on either?

Detroit Muscle Technology sells the kits for them, and reasonable. There are some repair, restoration services available, but it will cost to have it done. Years back it was around $800, if I remember correctly. While apart, check the heater core. Call Bob S at Glen-ray Radiators for that.

Don't be afraid to take on the box yourself. I just did mine without any special tools. Although it's a non-AC car, yours will just be a little more involved. You might also want to think about replacing the heater core, if you do. ('70 E-Body box pictured below)

IMG_20210327_170430903.jpg IMG_20210401_185514856.jpg IMG_20210401_185617413.jpg

2nd on the DMT rebuild kit. The materials aren't exactly the same as original but its a good kit. +1 on Glen Ray for the heater core, the originals fit and function better than the repops. They can also check your H valve to help with that. Also there are several websites/posts that walk you through a step by step rebuild. Its pretty easy, the linkage is a little scary, but take lots of pictures of the linkage from several angles so you can get it back together properly.

Detroit Muscle Technology sells the kits for them, and reasonable. There are some repair, restoration services available, but it will cost to have it done. Years back it was around $800, if I remember correctly. While apart, check the heater core. Call Bob S at Glen-ray Radiators for that.
Thanks much. Just ordered the kit. And then some...lol

Auto Transport Service
Back