• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Couple of wheel and tire questions and opinions wanted

Number15

Local time
11:10 AM
Reaction score
Just purchased this 67 GTX. Tires are in good shape but they are old, I hate old tires.

So I want to replace them currently the are 205/60/15 on the front and 235/60/15 on the rear.

So I see selection is limited in those sizes. Basically it seems the only logical choice there is the bf goodrich radial t/a.

For a stock car on 15" rims what are the reasonable sizes that fit?

I am also thinking about a set of original style TT. For a car with 11 inch drums what are the offset numbers I should be looking at? Also the car is 4.5" spacing right?

Finally opinions on if I should do the TT or stick with the rims on it now. I am a little torn on this one.

DSC00001 (1).JPG

First, we need to know the width of your rims.

Second, we need to know what stance you're looking for. (I like the old school look... sitting high all the way around with a decent rake).

If those rims are in good shape which they appear to be, I would stick with them. You can't go wrong with 15" Magnum 500's on a 60's B Body Mopar! Plus you have the correct center caps. On the other hand, Torque Thrusts are also a good choice, they would both look great on your car. I was just thinking since you already have the Magnums, might as well stick with them and save money.

Now, on to the tires... I think your fronts are too small. I would go with at least the 235's all the way around if your wheels are 7". Or another good choice would be 225 70 15's.

If your rear wheels are 8", then you could go with 255 60 15's (on the rear) with 235 60 15's or 225 70 15's on the front. I have 255 60 15's on 8" rims on the rear with 235 60 15's on 7" rims on the front. However, I had some front end problems and need new front tires and am thinking of going with the 225's.

As far as brand, the sizes I mentioned are readily available in B.F. Goodrich, Cooper Cobra or Mickey Thompson Sportsman Radials and I'm sure others. They all have solid white letters. I would love to try the Mickey's for my next set!

Here's a couple pictures of my Coronet for reference... Good Luck!
KIMG6710.JPG
KIMG7438.JPG

I’ve got TTs on my 65, but I like what you have now on the 66-67 B bodies. Especially on a black car.

Thanks you for the replies. I am almost 100% sure they are 7" rims but I will look through the paperwork I got with the car and/or contact the seller and ask.

I am pretty sure I will stick with these rims because I like them more than I thought I would, they really grow on you. It's just I have always loved the 5 spoke rims of old.

I like what you are calling the old school look as well. Car seems to sit a little low as it is now.

I am really digging this car and I told my wife we now need a GTX from every year to complete the collection :)

Great looking car! I would definitely keep the wheels, a classic look with coker redliners would be nice.
235/60 15 at all four corners is absolutely painfree. You're limited in the back to 275/60 15, massaging the fender lips, widening the inner wheelhouse is necessary, you have to center the wheel in the wheelhouse, and limit the body roll with a swaybar.

Great looking car! I would definitely keep the wheels, a classic look with coker redliners would be nice.
235/60 15 at all four corners is absolutely painfree. You're limited in the back to 275/60 15, massaging the fender lips, widening the inner wheelhouse is necessary, you have to center the wheel in the wheelhouse, and limit the body roll with a swaybar.
Thanks for the reply. I think I am going to go the pain free 235 60 15 route.
I was going to go redlines but swmbo likes the white letters. I am cool with that :)

Auto Transport Service
Back