• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Couple tranny mount questions

pearljam724

Local time
3:17 AM
Reaction score
What are symptoms of a bad tranny mount ? I know bad engine mounts create engine vibration. Does a tranny mount transfer vibrations to an engine or driveline ?
Does a b body tranny mount actually hold the tranny tail down or does tail only rest on it ? I know there’s 3 bolts that hold the tail to the mount, But, if a tranny mount was bad would a tranny tail raise under acceleration ?
Without removing it, 90% of my mount appears very solid. I believe the very bottom 10% is squishy due to fluids over time. But, it doesn’t leak now. Maybe just small amounts of fluids from here and there over a long period of time made it that way.
What’s a good method of testing a mount without removing it or are they only checked by looking them over ?

Your thread must have become buried!

You can place a jack under the tailshaft or even the pan with a board in between and apply a little pressure to see if it's broke. If its suspect, looking old and soft, just replace it. It's always the peace of mind thing for me to have critical parts in good shape.

Weak, soft, broken trans mounts will create vibrations and more.

If your on the downside of a steep grade try backing up it. It tran mount is bad you'll a clunk and maybe the tailshaft will hit the floor.

Thank you, kid. Yeah, I probably will. But, I don’t want to buy a rubber one. After a little research. I’ve read that all of the aftermarket rubber mounts are junk and only last a few months. I’m thinking polyethylene. I have new engine mounts that are rubber.

If your on the downside of a steep grade try backing up it. It tran mount is bad you'll a clunk and maybe the tailshaft will hit the floor.
Thanks Fran, I’ll try backing up a steep hill. My driveshaft tickled my tunnel a few months ago and I shimmed my rear axle hoping it would fix it. It helped a lot. But, I still have a tiny vibration in driveline at 70mph. It used to do it at 65 and vibration was worse. My driveshaft might need balanced along with mount changed. It has brand new U-joints. Might need shimmed a couple more degrees perhaps too. I appreciate you guys, I know I ask a ton of questions. But hey, someone has to keep this site jumpin, lol !

Auto Transport Service
Back