• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Covering modern voltage regulator

66 Sat

Local time
7:02 PM
Reaction score
My factory voltage regulator was replaced with an electronic regulator.
I've cut a channel in the underside of the case from the original regulator and it slips nicely over the new one so it looks more original. I haven't fitted it yet until I am sure it will be OK.
Will there be any issues with doing this? It's not touching the wires so it shouldn't short out, but I'm wondering about heat? Are the "ribs" on the new regulator for cooling or just aesthetics?
20221004_104457.jpg

To answer your question how hot does this regulator get? If hot containing it could be a bad idea. It must be using the fins as a way to cool it.

I fitted a stock cover over an early electronic voltage regulator (Canadian Tire) 40 years ago. Still running fine.

Someone probably makes an electronic regulator, that resembles an original style. I found one for my '63, and wasn't that pricey either...

1016221533a_HDR.jpg

Thanks guys, I'll take it for a drive and see how hot it gets. If it's only "engine bay" hot then I'll try the cover. It may even act as a heat shield from the engine heat.
This is how it will look:
20230112_065915.jpg

The electronic voltage regulator is just switching the alternators field voltage with an internal transistor and some voltage measuring parts. Since the switched current is low, roughly 5 amps maximum, any heat generated will be low, so, IMO, you should be Ok with what you propose.
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back