• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cowl Prep

Mike67

Local time
10:30 AM
Reaction score
So im in the process of replacing my floor pans and smoothing put the firewall, I reached up through the fresh air intake and everything felt solid but scale. So it kind of raised a question in my mind on how to address other than a wire brush, fogging it with some inhibitor and what to do with the cowl vents?
How do I make sure that the paint sticks to the floor and walls under the louvres?
Thanks

So im in the process of replacing my floor pans and smoothing put the firewall, I reached up through the fresh air intake and everything felt solid but scale. So it kind of raised a question in my mind on how to address other than a wire brush, fogging it with some inhibitor and what to do with the cowl vents?
How do I make sure that the paint sticks to the floor and walls under the louvres?
Thanks
If you have a blaster....then under light pressure slowly blast that area clean....Once finished and cleaned out. Spray primer to coat below the louvers...Wipe off the excess on the lovers....

me? lmao, I remove the upper cowl if I have to.......seriously though, every job is different, I pretty much wing it

Wow , the idea of drilling out spot welds prepping and welding back prior to paint never crossed my mind...

Both my cowl drains were blocked with mice nests, sand, leaves you name it. I chose to cut two hand sized access panels, one either side, in the front of the cowl (engine bay side) so I could reach in and clean out the cowl, wire brush the surface rust and treat and paint. I then hand fabricated a backing from new sheetmetal and bonded the whole lot including the pieces I cut out with some 2 pack structural panel bonder. It came up good and was a lot less work than removing the windscreen and whole upper cowl. There was only surface rust at either end of mine so this seemed the best option. Cheers

Very light pressure and a finer media and keep the gun 6 inches or more above the vents. You will have to play with the pressure a bit.......takes time but will do the job without warping...I have done it on 9 cars and zero warpage....but people today want it done in 5 minutes and increase pressure etc...

Auto Transport Service
Back