• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cowl Prep

mopar4don

Local time
1:08 AM
Reaction score
My upper cowl has been removed. It and the lower cowl have been epoxy primed.

Is the epoxy primer good enough or should It get paint? Maybe with a rattle can?
What Should I use? Something like SEM trim black?

Should the back side of the upper cowl get some kind of dampening material sprayed on it?
Like undercoating? (With it clamped down, it sounds a little tinny if you knock on it)

Also do they make a weldable seam sealer to go between the upper and lower cowl?
I ask because when I removed the upper cowl there was what looked like seam sealer all along where it had been spot welded.
Here is an older pic showing the lower cowl painted with the epoxy
P9240014.JPG

I fiber glassed mine. After the glass was set up good, I brushed Rust Oleum gloss black paint on top of it. Used weld thru primer when reinstalling outer cowl.
Mike

I epoxied and then used Chassis black so it was durable and when you look through cowl it was dark. No need to seamseal as the ends are open anyway.

IMG_0225.JPG
IMG_0226.JPG

I really like the result.

RGAZ

Thanks guys, I will defiantly spray some more paint to get more protection.
But I am still wondering about the seam sealer around the perimeter.
Also wondering if applying some type of under coating or sound deadner should be done? I guess they didn't do it from the factory

Also wondering if applying some type of under coating or sound deadner should be done? I guess they didn't do it from the factory

You are correct, there was no sound deadener factory applied. My thoughts were as follows:

1. IF I did put something in the cowl it has to be durable and permanent. It gets very hot in there and if anything came loose it would be in there forever.
2. I wanted to stay clear of anything that a rodent might want. Obvious reasons.
3. Something sprayed on the surface could do the job.

So, I decided to weld it on and see if it still was a potential source of noise. I found it is solid as a rock after install, so I left it alone. I was thinking I could spray in some lizard skin through the vents if I really felt it was going to be noisy. I did not bother.

Deep thoughts, with Jack Handy.

RGAZ

When I removed mine it appeared that they used something that expanded, looked like foamy seam sealer that could be welded through? I epoxied mine, painted it black then removed enough paint around the spot weld areas to weld it and used weld through primer. Once done I worked through the vent opening from the inside with multiple angle sticks and butchered up brushes to seam seal the joints PITA!!

Another tip, I investigated my car to find points of entrance for rodents. I'm certain the drain holes on the outside of the cowl is the gateway and riveted stainless expanded metal over them, I've never had a mouse in my car.

As for the seam sealer question,there is not a sealer if your going to mig it,but the same sealer you can spot weld it with a squeezable spot welder,gives you a choice as that seam is clearly visable from inside the car witch you must seal if not going the spot welding route,

After reading these later posts it dawned on me that a spray on truck bedliner would do a good job for this application.
Mike

After reading these later posts it dawned on me that a spray on truck bedliner would do a good job for this application.
Mike
I use it religiously lol.

Auto Transport Service
Back