• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cracked Head? 440

PurpleBeeper

Local time
6:03 AM
Reaction score
So, I've got the valve covers off & just adjusted the valve lash. I notice that there is some coolant "weeping" out of the rear/lower valve cover bolt hole on the passenger side. Is that a cracked head?

I'm "hoping" those threads just run really, really close to the head cooling jacket & I tapped too deep cleaning up the threads.....but I'm just "hoping".

Big block? 440? Don't see how a 440 could Leak coolant from the valve cover bolt hole. Don't think there's a coolant passage near there

Just tapping out a bolt hole would not go into a water jacket, only if you drilled through there. Then I guess it's a possibility, although remote. Clean the coolant out , put it together and drive it a bit, check again tomorrow.

The valve cover bolts don't go into the water jackets......As noted above I would just clean it out and see if it shows back up....

As stated above, there isn't a water jacket there. It would have to be a BIG crack to get water in the valve cover bolt holes. Check for coolant in the oil, that would be where i would start if you're really concerned. Keep us posted.

Iron or aluminum heads?
Iron heads

I am SUPER confused by the coolant. Where did it come from? All I did was remove the valve covers. It's more than a few drops.

No signs of coolant in the oil (thank God) & the hole eventually dried up after putting a paper towel inside it. I did use some RTV silicone in that hole when I tightened up the valve cover....very strange???????

Last edited:
The end valve cover bolt holes are nowhere near the cooling passages?

Huh.

90D60DC1-AE1F-4E6C-8412-61659020DEB0.jpeg

The factory used studs in those end bolt holes.
I’d suggest you do the same for that leaker.
Just use some silicone on it before you put it in.

Auto Transport Service
Back