• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Craigslist list scam-bad check

dodge1972

Local time
6:12 AM
Reaction score
Just a heads up. Listed a Daytona Wing locally on Craigslist for sale. Received a text with comments, I will sent a check and arrange for pickup when you deposit the check. Asked the party to call, but text only. Received the check priority Mail, US Postal Service. Check was drawn against an account with Bank of Hawaii. The amount greater than the asking price. Prior to depositing the draft, I contacted the agency for which the the funds were provided via the bank. The check is fraudulent.

Attachments

• rhernan.pdf
    937.3 KB · Views: 146
If the buyer won't call but will only txt or email ,I'd say that is a scam ...every time !!

unfortunately that's a pretty common scam. Glad to caught on to it before loosing any money. Thanks for the heads up too.

Ran in to same scam basically 2yrs ago selling my 69 valiant,they constantly referred to the car as "the product" and couldn't come to see it because she was very pregnant and couldn't travel.asked for a phone number,no reply.

Scammers like to send the check for an amount larger then asked. Many times they want you to deposit it and then send them back the extra. Smart move checking it before depositing it. They didn't really want to buy your part anyway.

keep getting these phony IRS scam calls,the guy is usually has a indian accsent so I play along and at some point I tell him after about 3 minutes or so that I have been recorded and tracked this call and two other agent from the IPS (Indian police service) are listening in.they usually either hang up or get agitated at witch point I tell them to f*&K off ;-)

they usually either hang up or get agitated at witch point I tell them to f*&K off ;-)
Man...you have some patience....I usually just tell them to fu*k off straight away. It amuses my wife sometimes. :lol:
Memo to all...don't call me with a withheld number :rolleyes:

had that happen too, selling a part. Check came for $3000 bucks over the cost and said I could deposit the thing and keep the cash for expediting their moving company on coming to pick it up. Riiighhhttttt.

That scam has been around for many years now. Think I'm on the no scam list because after going after a few of them with the cops, I don't get them anymore lol. Got a check that was so bad from on guy, I told him he needed to do better than that. Low and behold, he sent another. It was better but it was till low quality and told him he needed to get educated on how to do a quality scam. To my amazement, he sent another!! Should have framed it because the third one was pretty good. These people must think we're a bunch of dumbasses. He was from over seas and told him I'd contacted the authorities.

The ones that attracted the cops were actually from the Houston area and involved thousands of dollars. The only give away with one guy was the color of the money order. It even took the bank it came from awhile to figure it out since their cashiers checks look just like their money orders except for the color. Most of the tellers are not up on this stuff but one young teller saw it right off when she finally got involved. He got his picture taken and it came up because he spent 7 dollars for a 5 dollar MO and that raised a red flag. The MO was washed and 5000 was printed in. He got arrested from what I heard.

Great comments for team members. Yes i was suspicious from the on-set. Fist clue was he was not willing to use PayPal. But everyone knows; Mopars guys are also willing to help a fellow collector with an old school project. So I tried to work with him. At this time the wing has been sold.

Attached a copy of the check as a heads up for our members. Check was mailed from Sevierville, TN 37878.

I`m only face to face cash only in hand never selling anything just buying :rolleyes:

disagree with not calling being a scam but sending a check before seeing an item for sale is almost always a scam.

I don't want my phone number out there, as long as the CL anonynous email is s available.

my 75 year old mother almost fell for the Grandma scam. they had her convinced that my 21 year old son was in an accident and charged with DUI and he would get out of trouble if she sent $750 via western union. She was heading out the door to get the money and started thinking about it and called me. I said "mom, I had breakfast with Garrett about an hour ago" and she was still convinced it was him. They even had someone on the phone somewhat crying claiming to be my son with a broken nose from the accident. She was literally heading out the door to get the money. She still has her wits and feels really dumb for almost falling for the scam.

They were good with their story for my mom to fall for this.

LOL.....good for her! They tried this crap on my Mom back in 2010. Called her up, in PA, and told her I had been in a car crash in South Carolina where I lived, and that it was real bad. She let them go on and on, embellishing the tale until they asked for the money. She then informed them that her son was in combat, in Iraq, and that when I got home she was going to give me their number so I could hunt them down and beat the hell out of them. They hung up. I grew up in a biker family. My Mom doesn't take any crap. My fellow soldiers and I got a good laugh out of that..

Auto Transport Service
Back