• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

craigslist

eldubb440

more miracles than Jesus
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:00 AM
Reaction score
WTF...... so I post little pos Hyundai for sale, and with in 5 mins I get 6 texts asking if it is still available?.......you might think scammers would wait at least a few hours, and be a bit more creative :wtf:

They will be sending you a certified check soon for more than you want...lol.

Don't use your phone number for a contact option. Use your email instead. Craigslist uses inscription and the buyer doesn't see or know your real email. You can contact them through Craigslist to see if they are for real. Then you or the buyer can give a phone number to make further contact.

I made the mistake and used my phone number once and the texts never stopped. 80% were scammers. If they are really interested in what you're selling and the only option is to email you through Craigslist, they will.

WTF...... so I post little pos Hyundai for sale, and with in 5 mins I get 6 texts asking if it is still available?.......you might think scammers would wait at least a few hours, and be a bit more creative :wtf:
You meet the nicest people when you sell a Hyundai. :lol: , but 1st let them send you that 6 digit code to prove you are real.

As silly as this sounds - I always put in my CL ads - " no texts asking if it is still available, scammers get a life " or words to that effect. I may have helped thousands of people.

Don't use your phone number for a contact option. Use your email instead. Craigslist uses inscription and the buyer doesn't see or know your real email. You can contact them through Craigslist to see if they are for real. Then you or the buyer can give a phone number to make further contact.

I made the mistake and used my phone number once and the texts never stopped. 80% were scammers. If they are really interested in what you're selling and the only option is to email you through Craigslist, they will.

It's amazing how many people just don't get that.

...and a 'bot scam doesn't care what "instructions" you give, they will still ask if "the item' is still available.

What I find frustrating is people that won't communicate even after I write things that should absolutely prove I'm not a bot, a scam or out of country.

What part of "I've been a Mopar guy for over 35 years and I'd like to come look at your Road Runner, does it have a fender tag?" sounds like a scam or bot?

Folks can't tell the difference between that and-

"Is 1969 roadrunner project car needs work still available?"

Last edited:
I don't use CL but I sell a lot of stuff on FB Marketplace. I know there are scammers and I don't like the auto replies either BUT I reply to each and every reply I get. Enough of those have panned out into a sale to justify not casting judgement on the first reply. If you don't like the online process maybe you should go back to sticking a sign on your lawn.

What I find frustrating is people that won't communicate even after I write things the should absolutely prove I'm not a bot, a scam or out of country.
Yeah but it often ends up that you're too late to the punch and the sale is pending or complete. But I'm not that ignorant - everybody gets a reply.

You reply to-

"Is item still for sale?"

Sold a few things on CL over the years. One was a car. NEVER had them come to the house. Have a convenient spot, busy gas station nearby with surveillance cameras as a meeting place. Last few vehicles I’ve sold, just parked it outside a friend’s auto shop on a busy street, no ads. Sold them all within a few days. Heard FB is decent; but never wanted to join – FB.

Since I have never listed anything on craigslist..... or ever even visited craigslist...... I understand that the robot response "is this item still available" is an annoyance, but I don't understand how it is a scam?

Auto Transport Service
Back