• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crank Pulley Question

hurmit4life

Local time
9:32 AM
Reaction score
Hi, All-

I am pulling together some details to finish out a 440 (six-pack!) for my 66 Charger. I did some wheelin' and dealin' with a buddy and have a freshly rebuilt (1000 miles on it) 440 with ported / polished heads, forged crank...lots of goodies with an estimated 450 HP. This is a 1969 motor.

I have added a six-pack intake, a set of fabricated valve covers and am now working to add pulleys.

I bought a set of pulleys off of eBay for $40. (Crank and water pump, non AC, big block Mopar) Received them...media blasted them and painted them. Upon trying to install the pulleys, the holes do not line up.

I believe the crank pulley may be an "offset" bolt pattern, pre-1972 big block? Though my motor is a 1969, it has an aftermarket vibration dampener to match the balanced forged crank.

So...my question is: Do aftermarket dampeners have a higher chance of having a symmetrical bolt pattern?

I think I just need to bite the bullet and get a symmetrical bolt pattern crank pulley for non AC motors. Found one on 440 source that may work. Anyone interested in a freshly painted non-symetrical crank pulley? :rolling:

Here's a photo of what I have so far.

Big Motor.jpg

'72 and later were symmetrical, earlier was offset, (you're right about that) you should be able to "line-up" all the holes except one,you'd need to elongate that one,that's the easiest way to do it.

you could buy one from 440 source, (they do have the elongated hole) or save a few bucks and do it yourself.

Auto Transport Service
Back