• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crank Pulley question

1967coronet440

Local time
12:18 PM
Reaction score
Gents,

Reading a post about balancers, Pulleys etc the other day got me thinking. On my stroker the eagle crank (4.25”) has a Hemi flange (8 bolt) on the rear, uses a Hemi balancer and Hemi balancer bolt. The crank pulley I used from 440 source bolted up fine and seems to be ok but I have not ran the engine yet and it was listed for use with 440 engines. Just wondering if it’s ok to run like that or should I be looking for a “Hemi” pulley thanks in advance.

06417189-17E2-4D3C-9A07-FBDBF542B84F.jpeg 8626AFAC-4AB4-4D7F-B1D4-76443B8C5397.jpeg ABA49A60-225C-497A-A877-DA2099FC2982.jpeg

Pulley? Scmulley, oughta be fine; they’re not balanced like the balancer. IMHO

Pulley? Scmulley, oughta be fine; they’re not balanced like the balancer. IMHO
That’s what I figured but i didn’t know for sure and figured I’d check with the experts here for peace of mind.

How is the belt alignment?
As in, are the pulleys in plane with one another?

Also if you guys notice in the first picture the pulley bolt at the 5 o’clock position the hole is more of an oval shape while the rest are regular circle. Am I missing a washer or something there?

My guess is the hole got drilled like that accidentally.
Maybe a glitch in the program that makes the holes?

I’ve never messed with a HEMI pulley, so maybe there’s more to it that I’m ignorant of.

The main thing is to have the pulleys aligned as perfectly as you can get them.

As long as the pulleys are at zero runout (within a few thousands), you are aligned and you have the correct belt width for the pulley groove, you are good to go

Bo, your fine.....Stop wasting time and get that thing in your sweet ride.....

Bo, your fine.....Stop wasting time and get that thing in your sweet ride.....
Thanks buddy, thats the thing f I can’t move forward with the project right now due to lack of funds so my mind wanders to things like this. It kills me to have this thing sitting here stagnant when I’m so close.

Thanks buddy, thats the thing f I can’t move forward with the project right now due to lack of funds so my mind wanders to things like this. It kills me to have this thing sitting here stagnant when I’m so close.
If only you lived closer.......What are the other key parts that are holding you up?

If only you lived closer.......What are the other key parts that are holding you up?
i need a radiator, electric fuel pump, filters and lines. And I have to buy my rear shocks again since i got f***** when I bought my 4 link. I believe we spoke about that in my build thread. Anyway I think that’s about it to get it fired up and rolling so I’m not too far off. Waiting to start this new job, hopefully within the next few weeks.

Gents,

Reading a post about balancers, Pulleys etc the other day got me thinking. On my stroker the eagle crank (4.25”) has a Hemi flange (8 bolt) on the rear, uses a Hemi balancer and Hemi balancer bolt. The crank pulley I used from 440 source bolted up fine and seems to be ok but I have not ran the engine yet and it was listed for use with 440 engines. Just wondering if it’s ok to run like that or should I be looking for a “Hemi” pulley thanks in advance.

View attachment 629608 View attachment 629609 View attachment 629610
Not sure exactly what you're holding it on with but those allen caps wouldn't be my first choice on an aluminum pulley. I'd definitely use grade 8 or better bolts with attached "spin" washers so you can torque properly. You did torque them, didn't you?

Not sure exactly what you're holding it on with but those allen caps wouldn't be my first choice on an aluminum pulley. I'd definitely use grade 8 or better bolts with attached "spin" washers so you can torque properly. You did torque them, didn't you?
Yes, that’s the bolts 440 source recommends so that’s what I used.

Yeah, I got "learnt" about the two slightly different bolt patterns on those with all my engine swapping escapades. :)
I second moparnation here, Bo - what the heck, man? If a half dead redneck in TN can slap a car together (multiple times),
let's get to steppin' out there Midwest boy! Looks like you have stuff already that needs assemblin'. :thumbsup:
Don't make me gimp out there and do it for ya!:lol:

Yeah, I got "learnt" about the two slightly different bolt patterns on those with all my engine swapping escapades. :)
I second moparnation here, Bo - what the heck, man? If a half dead redneck in TN can slap a car together (multiple times),
let's get to steppin' out there Midwest boy! Looks like you have stuff already that needs assemblin'. :thumbsup:
Don't make me gimp out there and do it for ya!:lol:
I know I know I’ve been slacking as I do have a couple things I can do that don’t cost anything. Being summer with the kids out of school I’ve been spending all my little free time with them. I’ll get my Midwestern *** out there soon lol

Also if you guys notice in the first picture the pulley bolt at the 5 o’clock position the hole is more of an oval shape while the rest are regular circle. Am I missing a washer or something there?

If you add a washer only there it will put it slightly out of balance. I'd use them all or none at all.

Auto Transport Service
Back