• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crank "tabs" on a 413 ?

bandit67

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:41 PM
Reaction score
Guys in my " freshly aquired parts department" I noticed these tabs on a crank that is marked 413. They do not look welded on but I was thinking some one done that in the past in doing a balancing job. Those were not on there from the factory, correct?

IMG_0257.jpg

Those are factory, it’s made that way. They don’t really bother anything on a stock engine. They can be cut off, will need to rebalance the engine.

They are there, to balance.

Ha ha, learn something new everyday. Were those strictly for a 413 crank or was that done on others as well. I am assuming those holes drilled in the outside of a throw flange was the results of machine shop rebalancing job?
I am pretty sure that crank is steel but my book says those numbers, as best I can read them, should be cast iron. Steel or Cast?

Forged steel. I have 1, and if you do a crank "ring" test, compared to 440s, it seems to have a higher/tighter frequency . It would lead you to think its a better material. But I'm not a metallurgist .

Them 413 Cranks were some kinda tough sum-******* !

We wailed on one with a Tranz-brake for 15 years at 600+ hp..... never hurt it.... never a crack.... and even WITH the rolled fillets same as a 440 Crank ?

Pounded the SNOT outa the #4 Main on TWO Blocks over that same time.... but that Crank stayed puss ?

Got me wondering about the metallurgy as well because I can offer no explanations ?

Guys in my " freshly aquired parts department" I noticed these tabs on a crank that is marked 413. They do not look welded on but I was thinking some one done that in the past in doing a balancing job. Those were not on there from the factory, correct?

View attachment 1107905
Yeah a lot of 413 cranks have those tabs or sprues left on. Not sure why, maybe the 413 cranks were made by a different vendor. I don't recall ever seeing the tabs on a 440 crank but I've seen them on a lot of 413 cranks over the years, especially the earlier ones.

They actually have what looks like jaw or clamp marks on the OD, so maybe the early mfg process was different.

Here is a picture from my archives. This is an early stroker motor rotating assembly from back in the days before you could buy stroker kits. This is a 413 crank that has been turned down and offset ground to make a 470 crank in a 400 block. You can see that the tabs have been cut down and smoothed out. Last I knew this engine was still running hard in an E body car.
DCP_0428.JPG

I just had mine magged and ground, and it checked good.

Plans are to haul this one in and see if it can be ground. Has a pretty boogered up throw...

Auto Transport Service
Back