• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

crankcase pressure test

Ray70Chrg

Local time
12:37 AM
Reaction score
Can pressure be tested by attaching a vacuum/pressure meter via hose to the oil dip stick tube ? If yes, is zero pressure good ?

first you need to disable any crankcase breathing or ventilation systems, then block all of the breather ports leading to the crankcase. Next, install your vacuum/pressure gauge onto the oil dipstick tube. After starting the engine, observe the gauge. Your gauge should never indicate that vacuum is present. So, yes zero pressure is good

Wouldn't the point of this test be to see if your crankcase ventilation system was working properly ? So how could you determine that by blocking everything off ?? I believe that anything spinning in a confined area is going to create pressure, so even if you blocked off all ventilation and had zero blow-by, I can't see how you would have zero pressure unless you had poor sealing gaskets and seals. In that case you would probably have fairly significant oil leaks. If your reason for doing this test is to check for blow-by, I would think reading the plugs and doing a compression and leak down test would be better.

My reason for doing this test is just to see if pressure might be causing the oil pan leak that won't get fixed. I did the 1st test with a new pcv, but took the breather off the other valve cover. Meter was at zero. Reinstalled same breather and it remained zero. Unwanted pressure buildup does not seem to be my leak problem. Thanks for replying, I asked the question after I ran the tests just to see if this is a valid test. It seems that not many use this test when t/s these type of problems.

Auto Transport Service
Back